Downloading to a Redundant ControlLogix

Tim Ganz

I have a L82 system setup redundant that i need to download a lot of programs to in a critical environment.

What is the process to do this and not lose functionality? I assume download to one the the other but how do i know which to do first?

I have zero experience with redundancy. What about updating module firmware in this system also? Any specific things to look out for?

I have done a lot of reading setup of redundancy but I still don’t understand the download process?

Its says to treat the primary rack / processor as a single non redundant system as far as rs logix so does this mean when i download to it my process will stop as normal or will the secondary rack take over and how bumpless will that be?

There is no bumpless transfer when you download program to the Logix Redundancy.
Process will stop when you download.

Yes, you can do online edits and import Routines, AOIs and rungs without stopping.
Can’t do download while running.

After Downloading should I wait for it to Sync before putting back online / Run Mode?
From my experience, if controller was SYNCed before the download, then It will remain SYNCEd during and after the download.
However, if your program changes have issues, then SYNC may be lost after the download.
YMMV depending on your setup and application. Before download be ready that you may need a few hours (or even days) of downtime.
If this is not acceptable then do not start download and use a partial import instead.

Why would a download take hours or days? Because of redundancy setup? We have some large programs here even a few L85's that are mostly full but never had a download take more than 20 minutes.

I am not familiar with how the partial import works. I remember something like that fro RS Logix 5 but never understood it or got a chance to try it out on anything.

Redundancy download is just slightly longer than non-redundant.
It will need some additional cross-load time.

But it does not mean that your program will do what it's designed to do and redundancy will like it.
So be prepare for a shutdown.
If you lucky, it will go smooth.

I am not familiar with how the partial import works. I remember something like that fro RS Logix 5 but never understood it or got a chance to try it out on anything.
Partial import is actually extremely approachable. To get "Bumpless operation" with a new routine:
1) Import the new routine with your program changes in the PLC task, but don't put a JSR to it yet. So it's on the processor but the code stays dormant.
2) Then in online edit mode: Add a new bool: "EnableNewRoutine" and set it to 0.
3) Change the call to the currently impacted code to the following code in your task's main program:
Code:
|----------------[XIO(EnableNewRoutine)]----------------------[JSR(OldRoutine)]-----------------|
|----------------[XIC(EnableNewRoutine)]---------------------[JSR(NewRoutine)]-----------------|
4) When ready, switch EnableNewRoutine to ON.
5) Do the troubleshooting needed to bring up new sections of code.