Downloading hardware configuration siemens

plcnoob69

When I download a hardware configuration using the step 7, it first asks me to select the target module. Only option that is offered is the CPU. My question is, could there be another option to choose, perhaps if there are more CPUs connected somehow?

After I select the target module, it asks me for the I.P address (of this module I guess?). But it's IP address is already in the hardware configuration so I don't understand what is the point of this?

Please clear these things out for me

1) you might be connecting via a communications card

2) You might be connecting to a PLC that has a different project in it, and you want it to have this project (with a different IP) instead.

3) If your PLC is part of a network of PLCs that have multiple interfaces, you can use "S7 routing" to tunnel through one to get to another.

Thank you so much for your answer. Could you clarify a few more things for me please.

1)I'm not sure what you mean by this... You mean if I'm connecting through a CP module, I would select it here and then in the next step enter the CP's IP address? Or I would still need to enter the CPU's IP address?

2) Say for example the current IP address of the CPU is 1.2.3.4
If in my project I have a hardware configuration where CPU's address is 5.6.7.8, I can download this configuration, select the CPU as the target module and then in the next step write the address 1.2.3.4. Once this is downloaded, the CPU will have IP address 5.6.7.8?

2) Say for example the current IP address of the CPU is 1.2.3.4
If in my project I have a hardware configuration where CPU's address is 5.6.7.8, I can download this configuration, select the CPU as the target module and then in the next step write the address 1.2.3.4. Once this is downloaded, the CPU will have IP address 5.6.7.8?
If the project has a different IP with respect of the actual IP address, yes, the new IP address will be programmed on the target CPU. But the Windows workstation running the engineering tool must have a valid IP address for the subnet of the new IP address if the subnet of the new IP address is different. I am not sure Step 7, but TIA is smart enough and it will, prior to downloading the configuration, that it will add a new IP address to the Windows workstation that is compatible for the new subnet. My advice is, if the new IP address is from a different subnet not reachable with the current IP settings of your Windows PC, configure an additional IP address that is compatible with the new IP. If your PC has more than one NIC and the second NIC has a compatible IP configuration and also connected to the switch, then it is also possible to change the IP settings of the PLC.

If the project has a different IP with respect of the actual IP address, yes, the new IP address will be programmed on the target CPU. But the Windows workstation running the engineering tool must have a valid IP address for the subnet of the new IP address if the subnet of the new IP address is different. I am not sure Step 7, but TIA is smart enough and it will, prior to downloading the configuration, that it will add a new IP address to the Windows workstation that is compatible for the new subnet. My advice is, if the new IP address is from a different subnet not reachable with the current IP settings of your Windows PC, configure an additional IP address that is compatible with the new IP. If your PC has more than one NIC and the second NIC has a compatible IP configuration and also connected to the switch, then it is also possible to change the IP settings of the PLC.

In addition to that, it will often require you to do the DL twice when it changes the IP address. DL 1 (to old IP) changes the IP and probably downloads the HW, but then it loses the connection. DL 2, to the new IP, completes things and now the PLC functions correctly.

1)I'm not sure what you mean by this... You mean if I'm connecting through a CP module, I would select it here and then in the next step enter the CP's IP address? Or I would still need to enter the CPU's IP address?

1) You don't NEED to type in the IP there, you can do a scan to see if Portal can find the PLC. Fastest is to scan to see if there is a device of the correct type at the same IP (but this isn't the default for some reason). The other way is to scan for all the PN devices on the local network, and then there is an option to display all devices, or just compatible ones (hide IO blocks, drives, etc when you DL to a PLC).

You only need to type in the IP when you are connecting through NAT, and the PLC actually responds to a different IP than it has in the project.

I've never typed in the IP to get it to connect outside of the NAT scenario, but I guess that would work; I'm just too likely to fatfinger things and get cranky.

2) When you select what device you're downloading to, you would select the CP/CM, yes. This could by via the scan method I mentioned earlier, or by typing the CP's IP in like you mentioned above. Just like with the S7 routing, Portal will figure out how to get to the CPU from there.