Driving multiple 7-segment displays, matrix/multiplex style. Help!

I have a test prog that uses C0-11DRE-D cpu and C0-16TD2 for both output cards. It is what I had on the bench.
The 16TD2's are 12-24V cards, I did NOT consider COMMON ANODE/CATHODE configuration, just the logic involved for converting 12 single digit values into a matrixed LED display scheme.
I have the 7SEG bit patterns in DH10-DH19 and the 12 individual digit values in DH21-DS32. You would have to copy your GAME values into DH21-DH32 for this example.
A timer with a variable preset does the scanning interval of the outputs and the cycling of the math involved to pump the desired bit patterns from the DH table to the two output cards.
Brandon, let me know if you would like to see the test program.

Oh, it is 8 rungs of CLICK code.

I would very much like to see it. Swapping the hardware around is easy enough. I'm far better at hardware / electrical engineering than I am at writing logic. I think I'm going to do another class at Automation Direct, Doug's Advanced PLC class looks like something I would be after. I should probably check my local community college as well.

Thanks kwade

Short description
--I like to keep somewhat of a 1:1 relationship between ranges of memories and their real-world counterparts.
eg. DH10 is segment pattern for the DIGIT 0.
Since DH starts at 1 and NOT at 0, I used DH10 - DH19 x0-x9

DH10 - DH19 7Segment bit patterns for digits 0-9
DH21 - DH32 Your GameValues for LED 1-12 -- copy your game values to these locations for this example
DS1 Digit matrix Scan update time preset - if you make this sufficiently large, you can watch the outputs walk through their states. For runtime, it needs to be LOW. Your program overhead will add to the dwell.
DS994-DS999 Handle the math/pointer for the conversion/sending to outputs

--------------------------MAIN--------------------------
001- C2 Is supposed to clear the outputs if the update is NOT cycling -- not tested.
002- C3 STOPS the update at the end of the first iteration through the 12 LEDS - ONLY IF C3 is true.
003- C1 Rising OR Accumulator Rollover clears the accumulated count
004- C1 Calls the conversion routine
005- C1 Enables a self-resetting timer to provide a dwell for the matrixed digits

--------------------------7SEG_Pump--------------------------
This task implements POINTER ADDRESSING. See CLICK Help Topic CL 195 for official explanation.
Ask if it seems to bizarre
001- NOP
002- Rising edge T1 accumulate count of LED DIGIT, C1 is unnecessary
003- Rising edge T1:
-------- Clear output word for LED DIGIT COMMON (Anode/Cathode)
-------- Calculates the output address of the CURRENTLY SELECTED LED DIGIT COMMON
-------- Update the LED COMMON output word
004- Rising edge T1:
-------- Calculate the pointer into the DH table for the VALUE to send to the selected LED DIGIT
-------- Extract the VALUE of the selected digit
-------- Calculate the pointer into the DH table for the 7SEGMENT pattern for the selected LED DIGIT's value
-------- Copy the 7SEGMENT bit pattern to the output word.
004-018 NOP
019- Return to the MAIN program
020- Artifact of development : trash

----NOTE: This can all be moved to the same 16-bit output card, if you will be making the driver/voltage translators...
----It would take some masking before the COPY to output instructions

It may be a bit to digest, if you have questions, ask.

Last edited: