DSE4520 Replacement with HMI and PLC

Sham

Hi all,

Has anyone of you used DSE4520? What I want to do is very simple, I am kind of after the optimal solution now. The objective is really to just read the 3 phase-phase voltage values and the value of frequency, and display them on HMI. Graphical view and instantaneous values will be displayed.
Also, the client has asked us to log the data, which should be retrievable of course. Currently DSE4520 is being used, and my plan is to replace it by a PLC, and then display the data on HMI.

I feel like there are many options available to me, which is making it hard to decide. Kindly shed some light. Which PLC should I use? Complex processing is not required, and the input signals are all wired. And which HMI should be used? The client is kind of expecting it to be a very nice looking HMI.

TIA!

Beckhoff has some inexpensive power monitoring modules. By the time you and the plc and hmi of any brand it’s going to be significantly more expensive than a standalone module. Not sure what kind of budget you have for this.

Beckhoff has some inexpensive power monitoring modules. By the time you and the plc and hmi of any brand it’s going to be significantly more expensive than a standalone module. Not sure what kind of budget you have for this.

I was kind of thinking so too, but we need something that looks nice too. That’s a major requirement of client since this prototype will be used for display and advertisement. The budget is around $1000 usd

Will it be any cheaper to use the existing DSE4510 module instead of plc, and add an HMI? Will this even be possible actually?

Anyone has used the software of DSE4510? I was planning to install that software on a HMI, and that will be it? Only if the DSE software enables reading and logging of values?

Any suggestions?

The DSE stuff is a customisable voltage/frequency monitoring auto C/O in one, to do this with a PLC you will have to use an under/over voltage, frequency monitor on each supply (mains/gen) and CT's for the Gen Current

The DSE can also connect to the Gen controller on CAN Bus, so unless you have a very compelling reason to move away from a DSE unit (especially if its using all the functions) then sticking DSE is going to be a lot less pain and money.

Last edited: