E-Stop Circuit Wiring

machinery Safety

Here is an explanation I have sent to management recently about machinery safety. This is for a compression moulding machine large enough for the operator to get their upper body inside. Of course the regulations only apply in Europe.

The safety circuit is divided into 2 parts;

1. Emergency stop.

2. Safety gate.

1. The emergency stop consists of 2 E-stop pushbuttons, these are latching on, twist to release. These e-stops are monitored by a PIlz PNOZ16S safety relay. If either stop is operated the the relay de-energisies and disconnects the control circuits to the gate safety circuit. The relay has a seperate "reset" button that energises the Pilz relay after releasing the emergency stop pushbutton. This ensures that the requirements of BSEN 954 and BSEN 60204 are met in that the re-setting of an emergency stop push does not initiate a movement. Using a PNOZ16S and 2 channel e-stops means that the e-stop system is category 4, this is the category required for safety sytems for presses as a fault could result in serious injury or death.

2. The gate safety circuit is also a PNOZ16S safety relay, in this case the pilz relay monitors 2 ferrocode coded magnetic switches that are fitted to the operators gate. when the gate is opened the Pilz relay is de-energised and opens the 2 MPCE contactors that isolate the variable speed drive output from the motor, these contactors are also monitored by the pilz relay so that if either of them fails to open when de-energised then the pilz relay will not reset. Also in the gate circuit are trojan 5 tongue operated interlock switches that are fitted to the rear guards. If one of the guards is opened then the gate safety pilz relay de-energises. The Pilz relay is wired with a reset pushbutton so that when the gate is closed the operator has to push the reset button to energise the pilz relay. This ensures that closing the gate does not initiate any movement and prevents an operator from entering the danger area and closing the gate behind him. This is also category 4.

The safety contacts of the E-stop relay and the gate relay are in series.

More information can be found here : http://www.pilzsupport.co.uk/downloads_gms.htm

the new European standard for machinery safety is BSEN 12100 Safety of Machinery - Basic concepts, general principle for design.

http://www.pilzsupport.co.uk/standards/safety.htm has a list of all the myriad relevant standards.

The underlying principles of the system we have are;

1. A category 4 safety system - from BSEN 954-1 " ......A further requirment of category 4 is that a single fault in any safety-related parts of the system shall not cause the loss of the safety function. The single fault must be detected at or before the next demand upon the safety system. If this is not possible, an accumulation of faults shall not lead to the loss of the safety function...."

2. Preventing unexpected start up - from BSEN 60204-1 para 9.3.1 " The reclosing or resetting of an interlocking safeguard shall not initiate machine motion or operation where that can result in a hazardous condition"

The original post mentioned NFPA 79, if you read 9.5 thru 9.63 it will explain the 3 kinds of stops.
Category 0: immediate removal of power to all machine actuators...ie unctrolled stop.
Category 1: a controlled stop with power to the machine actuators available to achieve the stop then power is removed.
Category 2: a controlled stop with power left available to machine actuators.
Each machine shall be equipped with a Category 0 stop.

9.6.3 Emergency Stop
--It shall override all other functions and operations in all modes

--Power to the machine actuators that can cause a hazardous condition(s) shall be removed as quickly as possible without creating other hazards (e.g. by the provision of mechanical means requiring no external power.

--Reset shall not initiate a restart

The estop shall function as either Category 0 or Category 1. The choice of category of estop shall be determined in accordance with the requirements of the application.

Where a Category 0 stop is used it shall have only hardwired electromechanical components. Its operation shall not depend on electronic logic or the transmission of commands over a network.

Where a Category 1 stop is used for the estop final removal of power to the machine actuators shall be ensured and shall be by means of electromechanical components.

JohnW and rsdoran: Spot on!

JohnW, just to be accurate when saying the E-stop relay and safety relay are wired in series; the safety relay is slave to the E-stop relay - activating E-stop de-energizes both relays and thereby opens the two contactors.

The two reset buttons must each be wired in series with aux. contacts in both contactors, so that both contactors are open before any of the relays can be reset. This must be fulfilled before cat. 4 is fulfilled.

The contactor must have all internal contacts mechanical linked.

Safety Relays

In general, for special safety relays such as the PILZ PNOZxx series, if you design your e-stop or gate safety system in accordance with the manufacturers guidance then you will be OK. The PNoz16 has seperate reset (S33 & S34) and feedback connections (Y1 & Y2). Each relay monitors its own reset button and feedback circuit.

i do generally kill all power to my output cards when e-stop is pressed except when i am involved in welding machines.
we have 20 some odd nut welders with medar welding controls on them.
the outputs for gun close and gun intesify and also shunt trip i always have energised.

you never want to lose the ability to shunt trip the main breaker.
you also never want to abort a welding sequence after it has started.
pulling the gun apart with current passing through is bad.

there are always some exeptions to the rules, but by trying to make it as safe as possible you might be overlooking some things and really just be making it more dangerous in some situations.

regards
mark

That's the interesting part of risk ASSESSMENT - you have to consider not only the direct safety issues, but also the indirect. Having an unstable machine due to the fact that you just cut the power is not accepted. rsdoran qoutes the different stop methods and these are to be followed. But you can't jeopardize the person safety, but you can end up accepting a certain risk - otherwise the production may not be possible.

The key word is - yet again - risk assessment. :)