E22 and E24 on Ultra 3000 with DeviceNet, Logix5555

VernonAzuki

We are pulling our hair out trying to figure out this issue. We have an AB*MPL-A330P-HK22AA servo motor that started randomly throwing E22 and E24 errors on us about 6 months ago. Very hit or miss - sometimes none in a day other times more. We are now at the point where the drive will often not even home on the packaging machine. It also throws these faults before the drive even starts moving (or as it does). The shaft/gearbox it's driving moves easily by hand when the machine is e-stopped and was recently refurbished with new shafts/bearings while troubleshooting the issue. If we can get it to run we will get 20-30 cycles before it faults out. Here is everything we've done throughout the troubleshooting process as it got worse and worse to no avail:

We tried another MPL-A330P-HK22AA. We swapped the feedback cable with a new one. We switched to a MPL-A330P-HK72AA with new power and feedback cables. We installed a factory new Ultra 3000. Cables were rerouted so they did not run near other power cables or supplies. Any ideas? The only cable we have not swapped is the CN1 that runs from the Ultra 3000 to the PLC but the tech does not think this could possibly be the cause and doesn't feel qualified to mess with it or the connections.

The servo motor is driving sealing jaws for a Wolf packaging machine - Logix5555 on DeviceNet and the Ultra 3000 is a 2098-DSD-030. I found a post on the MrPLC forum by Folivar describing a similar issue about 10 years ago but he did not follow up what the fix was. :-/

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Last edited:
Common causes:
A defective Breakout Board Cable
A faulty Motor Feedback Cable
Poor system grounding
The Motor's Power Cable shield not clamped to drive
The Motor's Feedback Cable shield discontinuous between the encoder and the drive

Reduce acceleration rates, tune system

Last edited:
Did you do an auto tune after you changed motors? If not, give it a shot.

Both errors have "reduce acceleration rate" listed in the manual as ways to solve the problem, so I would agree with BachPhi that dropping those would be a good idea if it can be done without affecting the timing on the rest of the machine.

Bubba.

Thanks for the suggestions - we were able to get the system to run for 15 minutes without any faults. When we stopped and started up again we could not get the servo to home without an E24. It would move 1/4 of an inch during homing and fault out. I don't have a TechConnect subscription - is it possible there's a solution in Ultra3000: E24 Excess Velocity Error #49946 or 2098 Ultra 3000: E24 Excess Velocity Error with no motion occurring #36633? I think the solution may be in the tuning or error settings.

I'll list some things that may or may not have come from those tech notes ;)

Increase the allowable velocity limits
Check for binding or jamming on systems that have been running.
Check drive connections per publication 2098-IN003
Factory default EEPROM if you get the error when no no motion is occurring.
Reduce the acceleration