Electrical wiring diagrams US standards

Thank you all for your input. I'm very glad to see this is not a unique problem - as I assumed, it is universal.

Lacking a written standard, it would appear that the best approach would be to accept the diagrams as drawn and convert them in house afterwards.

The drawings are not impossible to follow by any means. The biggest problem is that they are unique in our plant and each time a technician is required to utilize them, he has to familiarize himself with their layout. This can increase downtime.

I guess a few weeks spent CADing up new prints based on the factory supplied prints would be benificial.

Train your people to read the IEC prints. First of all, its not that difficult to do, and second, they will encounter IEC prints throughout their career, so you will be doing them a favor by givng them the training.

Train your people to read the IEC prints. First of all, its not that difficult to do, and second, they will encounter IEC prints throughout their career, so you will be doing them a favor by givng them the training.

+1. Or, if they have spare time, let them do the conversion (even its just using a pencil and a bunch of 11x17s); good way to get familiar with the equipment.

The problem with the Europian equipment we have is that it is so well made that it rarely needs troubleshooting, but when it does there is nothing worse than pulling the documentation at 3 a.m. to find bewildering crossreferencing and strange symbols. Worse yet the references are all in German/Italian/French. Redrawing the prints and translating the docs is never in the budget.Brian.

Your not going to like this answer:
Either teach your people to read euro dwg's or get autocad and re-draw them yourself.....lol
I have 8 machines made in england for germans, (at least the comp) is located in england. and all machines are similar, (different yr models) so there are slight differences, the 3rd oldest it's prints are all in german, I emailed the company in england, asking for an english version of the print. they said no problem and emailed me the exact same print (still in german)lol so I contacted them again, they sent me an english to german technical translation sheet. unfortunatly it only has about half of the german words.

we bought a piece of equipment from Italy I talian prints and manual translated from Italian using an italian/ English dictionary we had problems with it so when they sent an Italian service man over, we thought we would be smart and let our Italian /Canadian Electrician deal with him and hopefully make sense of the prints and manuals did not work almost started an italian /Canadian war. We ended up having an Irishman work with him to obtain much needed information

Usually my 'Euro' drqwings are in English. In my SQL-CAD have propery for use 2 extra languages. Designing language can be English or Finnish. Visibility can be f.e. English and French, French for French and English or Finnish for me. Languages are in different layers in DXF/DWG drawings as well in PDF.
Maintenace people can put Layers on (visible) or off (hide).
See Examples
Project Drawings can show with NEMA or IEC symbols, depending of Project NEMA setting, TRUE or FALSE.