EN2T vs ENBT

Got more than 128 Ethernet/IP connections and more than 64 TCP/IP connections? Use an EN2T.
Else use the ENBT.

That’s about it...

Thanks for reply. Does that mean for small network we use ENBT and for large network we use EN2T? Can we use both in a rack? For instance one ENBT for HMI network and one EN2T for control network?

Basically, yes.

Not sure about that one. I would say yes, just because you can have two ENBT cards in one rack. Typically, one is used for control and the other is connected to the plant network. Separation of church and state.

Whether it’s right or wrong or “bad ju-ju” to put an HMI on a network separate from the control network, I don’t know why you would need to.

sayahan2003, I would recommend you move away from the 1756-ENBT and use the 1756-EN2T for any new installations (its only about $300 more). As tarik pointed out, the ENBT in now silver and soon will be obsolete. If you are working on an existing controls system and have available budget, its worth upgrading the exiting ENBT to a EN2T. Better yet, the new L8x PLCs have a built in gigabit Ethernet/IP NIC, I would recommend using it for your SCADA/HMI/OPC Ntwork (Layer 1 or 2) network and using the EN2T for Layer 0 (IO, drives, etc).

I'm going off of memory, which sucks, but I believe certain devices like EIP encoders will not work with ENBT. So, I think it's more than just connections. Do your due diligence!

James

If I remember the ENBT has an Ethernet packet size of around 500 bytes. The newer cards like the EN2T support something like 4000. I wrote a direct driver for the Controllogix and updated it a couple years ago to support the larger packet size. The difference was pretty amazing. You can fit a ton of tags in 4K.

sayahan2003 said:
Would you please let me know what the difference is between 1756-ENBT and EN2T? When do we use ENBT and when EN2T?...

40784 - ControlLogix Ethernet Modules Comparison
Access Level: TechConnect

Aside from the processing and capacity differences between these two Ethernet modules, I would also advice users, where possible, not to select the quite older 1756-ENBT module for newer applications or retrofits. Unless there is an absolute necessity to use an ENBT module, such as a replacement in a certified system, then the EN2T module should really be the minimum Ethernet communications module to choose. Or, indeed, if designing a new system, then the latest 5580 ControlLogix with embedded and enhanced Ethernet port should also be given careful consideration.

Regards,
George

Originally posted by Geospark:

Or, indeed, if designing a new system, then the latest 5580 ControlLogix with embedded and enhanced Ethernet port should also be given careful consideration.

I'm not sure how they are pricing these things in Ireland, but around here I could buy three L7X/EN2T combinations for the price of one L8X processor. While the performance of the L8 is certainly something to behold, that performance isn't free. The L8X is WAY more plc than most people need.

I do agree with the EN2T over the ENBT, though. You get a significant jump in performance for very little increase in cost with that swap.

Keith

I'm not sure how they are pricing these things in Ireland, but around here I could buy three L7X/EN2T combinations for the price of one L8X processor. While the performance of the L8 is certainly something to behold, that performance isn't free. The L8X is WAY more plc than most people need.

I do agree with the EN2T over the ENBT, though. You get a significant jump in performance for very little increase in cost with that swap.

Keith

Sounds like you're either getting a crazy good deal on L7x and EN2T, or you're getting screwed on L8x.

L8x is supposed to be priced to be just under an L7x+EN2T. Rockwell's intention being there's no real reason to use an L7x anymore (except redundancy or some customer-driven reason).

Originally posted by rupej:

Sounds like you're either getting a crazy good deal on L7x and EN2T, or you're getting screwed on L8x.

We do get a pretty good price on what we use but you are correct. It appears it's time I jack up our local Rockwell account manager. I haven't even been looking into the L8's because we don't need that kind of juice and the only thing available last time I checked was the equivalent of an L85E. The lineup has been significantly expanded since the last time I checked. Had i known this I would have been looking sooner.

Time to take another look, it would seem.

Keith