Encoder PPR selection

No no no!!!!

@Kid: Pick one, standardize on it, live with it.
99.875% of "Drive" applications run perfectly well with either a 1000 or 1024 ppr encoder.
A drive controlling an constant speed conveyor only needs PI control. Yes you can get by with a lot fewer counts per revolution because the derivative gain is not required but when controlling positions, velocity and accelerations you need to use the derivative gain and the ability to estimate the actual velocity is critical.

When gearing it critical to estimate the acceleration of the master because this is used to generate the feed forward signals for the slave.