Epson robot controller

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
Epson robot controller RC620. Epson software RC+6.0. The controller successfully launches Windows XP, but when it starts the Epson software, the progress bar gets to about 50% and we get the message "Could not connect to SPEL controller". Any suggestions as to which component in the controller we should replace first?

We have already tried removing/reseating the CPU board.

Hi Steve

I have worked a good bit with the rc 90 but not as much with the the 620.
From what I remember the 620 comes with a built in pc and this is what will not connect is that correct. I would start with the comms card or cabling from the pc to the robot controller as if it was a laptop i would start a check my USB cable then I would check the pc drivers then reinstall the software.

I don't have it here now but I have a good contact in Epson Germany and if you need it just send me a pm and I will send it to you.

Donnchadh

We have this same Epson controller with the same error. I did a google search and this post was part of the result.

Was there ever a solution found?

Thank you.

I found my notes for that day, but all I recorded was a lot of parts swapping between the controller that was working OK and the one with the problem. If I remember correctly, I was covering second shift at the time and the problem was resolved on the next day shift. I was not directly involved with the resolution, so I don't have any notes on what finally worked. I might have been told ten years ago, but it's long forgotten.