Ethernet/IP Nodes 1756-L71

Zlinger

How many Ethernet/IP nodes can you have on a 1756-L71 processor? The AB catalog shows "N/A" for the number of nodes and 500 for connections. The L81, for example, shows 60 nodes and N/A for connections.

I have a customer with a lot of VFDs and remote I/O on an L71, and I am wondering how much more I can add.

Thanks.

The number of nodes supported on the network will depend on the Ethernet module you add to it; an ENBT, or EN2T, or EN3T. You can also add multiple Ethernet modules, or ControlNet modules.

The number of Connections are the number of I/O devices the controller can support.

You also have to consider the performance you will get out of a module; the faster you ask for data, the harder the module has to work. You might get a 1756-EN2T to run all 128 possible Ethernet nodes if they're at 20 ms RPI, but not at 5 ms.

I've done a 1756-L71 system with 110 I/O connections through a single 1756-EN2T at 10 ms and it ran well.

The 1756-L8x controller has the Ethernet port built into the CPU, so that's probably why they list the number of "nodes" directly.

There are some capacity estimation tools, and this sort of thing is a great question to get your local RA sales office involved in.

Good luck !