CompactLogix Ethernet nodes and Red Lion HMIs.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I'm designing a project using a CompactLogix L33ER PLC, connected via Ethernet to several PowerFlex 525 VFDs and a Red Lion HMI.
As far as I know, the L33ER can handle up to 32 nodes, and each PowerFlex 525 counts as 1 node.
Does anybody know if a Red Lion G310 HMI counts as 1 node (or more than that) for a L33ER Ethernet network?

Thanks!

Red lion hmi's do not use any "nodes".

RANT

I understand the point of ab artificially limiting the number of devices you communicate with in order to guarantee performance, but I don't appreciate bring artificially restricted.

END RANT

More specifically, if you use a drive, panel view, point io rack, etc. you must configure that in the controller and each device utilizes a node. Every device that utilizes a cip connection, whether using an AOP or a generic eip configuration utilizes a node. Each controller has a specific node cap.

The red lion hmi's and data stations are not required to be configured in the device profiles and do not go against the node count. The controller will not know it's even there, it merely responds to data requests from the red lion devices. It will not fault if the red lion device goes offline either.

The only exception to this is the Crimson EtherNet/IP Slave driver; it works like an I/O connection and takes up a "node".

It's also super fast and easy to use for pushbuttons and indicators.