Connecting Ethernet TCP/IP device to CompactLogix

Lobo12

I have a device that is currently connected to a UR 10 robot through a UR Cap and I would like to connect the device to an Allen Bradley CompactLogix 5069-L306ER PLC instead so I can use it with other robots (device only has a URCap at the moment). The device use Ethernet TCP/IP, I have the IP address of the device that was used to connect to the UR and its native protocol. For example, I know "Get_State" is 0x00 02 and "Register_Client" is 0x00 03 for info, and there's some others in the protocol. I am a noob when it comes to communication between devices so I apologize if this seems obvious. I have been trying to use the MSG instruction to send 0x00 02 to the device using CIP read and CIP generic but I think I am missing something as it wont let me put hex in as the source element on CIP read and I am lost on the custom settings for CIP Generic. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes the CIP Card can probably do this, you may need to look at changing the HEX into Decimal (Hex converter) and sending the decimal equivalent. Use Wireshark to look at what the outputs of the CIP Command on the TCP/IP and modify them as required until they give you the correct messages. You can cross reference between the Robot and PC and Robot and PLC. It will work it may just take a lot of time to figure out the commands.

Set up Wireshark on a spare PC and put a network HUB (not a Switch) between the PLC and the Robot, then plug the PC into that HUB you should then be able to capture data between PLC and Robot ( PLC robot and PC need to be on the same network range eg. 192.168.1.xxx with mask 255.255.255.000 )

Yes the CIP Card can probably do this, you may need to look at changing the HEX into Decimal (Hex converter) and sending the decimal equivalent. Use Wireshark to look at what the outputs of the CIP Command on the TCP/IP and modify them as required until they give you the correct messages. You can cross reference between the Robot and PC and Robot and PLC. It will work it may just take a lot of time to figure out the commands.

Set up Wireshark on a spare PC and put a network HUB (not a Switch) between the PLC and the Robot, then plug the PC into that HUB you should then be able to capture data between PLC and Robot ( PLC robot and PC need to be on the same network range eg. 192.168.1.xxx with mask 255.255.255.000 )
Hi mad4x4, thanks for the reply! I got a hub and tried this, and it worked great! Thanks for the cool idea, I will definitely be using this setup for debugging in the future as well