Ethernet IP > Profinet

Jackllx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

Usually would use Anybus which are easy to set up, however they are struggling to supply them to us, so looking at other alternatives.

Do any of you guys use something that you would recommend?

On the PN side, is there a Siemens PLC ?
Siemens can do Ethernet/IP:
https://cache.industry.siemens.com/.../109782314_EtherNetIP_Scanner_DOC_v1_1_en.pdf

Dont know if there are any Ethernet/IP vendors that can do PN, apart from gateways like Anybus.

If possible, I would go for OPC UA between different PLC brands.

Really I need an Ethernet IP scanner, it's not for PLC>PLC communication, it's for Ethernet IP hardware which I need to talk to on Profinet.

Ethernet IP side is not a PLC.

PN side is going to be a 1517 probably

If you look in the FAQ that I linked to, you can see that the Siemens PLC can be either Ethernet/IP Scanner or Adapter.

If you are worried about the current delivery troubles, then I can only say that Siemens is also affected.

Codesys PLC can run in Windows, Linux or hardware such as RevolutionPi. Codesys supports EtherNet/IP scanner functionality as well as Profinet IO device. You can develop a relatively straight forward program to map ProfinetIO data to Ethernet/IP and vice-versa. There are may industrial grade Windows 10 or Linux industrial PCs which are DIN-rail mount, fanless, 24 VDC powered and use no hard drive (SSD) thus have reliability on par with a PLC or gateway.