IEMENS PLC (S7-300, Profinet) to AllenBradley Remote IO (Without CPU, EtherNet/IP)

chongandrew

Hi there,

I have an application where I’m required to connect Siemens S7-300 PLC (Profinet) to Allen Bradley Control Logix Remote I/O Rack & Allen Bradley FLEX I/O (both Remote I/O in EtherNet/IP, without CPU) with the following hardware:

1 x Siemens S7-300 [PLC - Profinet]

1 x AllenBradley 1756-EN2TR [Communication Interface - EtherNet/IP]
2 x AllenBradley 1756-IB32 [Digital Input Module]
1 x AllenBradley 1756-OB32 [Digital Output Module]
1 x AllenBradley 1756-OW16I [Digital Relay Output Module]

1 x AllenBradley 1794-AENTR [Communication Interface - EtherNet/IP]
1 x AllenBradley 1794-IB32 [Digital Input Module]
1 x AllenBradley 1794-OB16 [Digital OutputModule]

Has anyone done something similar?
or does this even possible?

Please also find the System Overview concept draft in the attachment

System Overview (SIEMENS PLC with AllenBradley Remote IO).png

or this
6ES7158-3MU10-0XA0
SIMATIC PN/MF Coupler

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/109781285
Interesting.
It says you need TIA V16 for this module.
Maybe you can configure it in STEP7 Classic with only the GSDML file, but I think it will be easier if you do it in TIA.

Is this a new or an existing project ?
I would not create a new project with S7-300, especielly if there is any complexity such has having to deal with gateways.

Is this a new or an existing project ?

It's a newish product, released last year. They also have an ET200SP interface module that supports PN/EIP/ModbusTCP. MF = MultiFieldbus

My understanding is that it is only a PN device/EIP Adapter, not a controller/scanner. I think it is for controller/controller comms, not controlling IO. Could be wrong, though.

I have an application where I’m required to connect Siemens S7-300 PLC (Profinet) to Allen Bradley Control Logix Remote I/O Rack & Allen Bradley FLEX I/O (both Remote I/O in EtherNet/IP, without CPU) with the following hardware:

1st reaction: Dear god, why?!

2nd reaction: Yes, this is possible. If this is all new hardware, I'd push back on the customer for a variety of reasons. Mixing network protocols is rarely a smooth process, and S7-300 & ET200M IO are on the way out. You likely want S71500 and either ET200MP or ET200SP.

If this is existing HW that just needs to be integrated, then yeah, a gateway module should help. Prosoft and Anybus have already been mentioned, and I'll add Hilschire Net Taps to that.

https://www.hilscher.com/products/p...r-the-control-cabinet-ip20/fieldbus-gateways/

Hi Jesper,

Yeah, we ended up trying with Anybus, as they claim that their AB7503 (link below) Could be used to "replace" AB's PLC and communicate with EtherNet/IP Adapters.

https://www.anybus.com/products/gat...y---ethernet-ip-scanner---profinet-irt-device

So far, we only able to get one of the Remote IO, which is the AB FLEX IO of following hardware lineup to successfully established control from Siemens PLC:

Not so with AB ControlLogix RIO...yet...

It's a newish product, released last year. They also have an ET200SP interface module that supports PN/EIP/ModbusTCP. MF = MultiFieldbus

My understanding is that it is only a PN device/EIP Adapter, not a controller/scanner. I think it is for controller/controller comms, not controlling IO. Could be wrong, though.

1st reaction: Dear god, why?!

2nd reaction: Yes, this is possible. If this is all new hardware, I'd push back on the customer for a variety of reasons. Mixing network protocols is rarely a smooth process, and S7-300 & ET200M IO are on the way out. You likely want S71500 and either ET200MP or ET200SP.

If this is existing HW that just needs to be integrated, then yeah, a gateway module should help. Prosoft and Anybus have already been mentioned, and I'll add Hilschire Net Taps to that.

https://www.hilscher.com/products/p...r-the-control-cabinet-ip20/fieldbus-gateways/

Yeah you're right, it is an adapter on EtherNet/IP side, which means you'll need an active Scanner who was capable of exchanging IO information To/From the gateway. And that wasn't really the main target of what I would aim to do.

Well, for selection such as ET200M and S7-300, that wasn't something that could be decided on our side. Customer's requested that we are to continue use these 2 product lineup due to their vast machinery that are still using (easier management of spare parts)

Thanks for the recommendation.
We'll see if we're able to get our hands on Hilschire and give it a test.
It could be quite hard as we don't have much budget for Proof-Of-Concept test. :(

Hi there,

1 x Siemens S7-300 [PLC - Profinet]

1 x AllenBradley 1756-EN2TR [Communication Interface - EtherNet/IP]
2 x AllenBradley 1756-IB32 [Digital Input Module]
1 x AllenBradley 1756-OB32 [Digital Output Module]
1 x AllenBradley 1756-OW16I [Digital Relay Output Module]

Has anyone done something similar?
or does this even possible?

Please also find the System Overview concept draft in the attachment

I was able to get FLEX IO connected and working with AnyBus AB7503 https://www.anybus.com/products/gateway-index/anybus-xgateway/detail/anybus-x-gateway---ethernet-ip-scanner---profinet-irt-device

But I can't make it for ControlLogix's IO.
Does anyone have any idea how to configure it?

Anybus ScanList configuration.png