Ethernet IP Router

I have had several problems over the years with the Linksys 5-port workgroup switches. After many days of runtime, they sometimes lock up completely. After a power cycle, they are fine. For me it is worth the small price difference for an industrial unmanaged switch, even for applications with minimal data transfer.

I dont think the MSG blocks use Multicast messaging, so the message will be easily routable. Any router will work. You might want to dive into your switches a bit, as most managed switches have routing capabilities. The VLAN definitely wont work, unless you add another ENBT to both racks, which isnt very cost efficient. The ENBTs do not support VLAN tagging, so they would have to run untagged, meaning only one network.

Because this is an industrial environment, I prefer Moxa switches, but any router should work.

That Phoenix Contact product appears to be in the $800+ range...

Is the ccontrols product more "price sensitive" than Phoenix, Amigo?

Last edited:
however I think you can allow those two PLC's to talk if the subnet mask is set to allow it. I think a subnet of 255.255.65.0 would allow the two stations to talk. Now - I am not sure of the ramifications of opening up your masking like that. Maybe, just maybe, the IT guy can help with that? Maybe an IT forum?

Just to add in a little here, I am an IT guy in addition to a Process guy.

A subnet mask of 255.255.65.0 wouldn't help at all here as these are in 2 different Class B ranges.(a.b.c.x)(the b is different here along w/ the c)

Let's use an example.
The address ranges stated were 10.10.140.x and 10.1.50.x , in order to allow a device set to say 10.10.140.5 to talk to a device anywhere in the 10.1.50.x range, a subnet of 255.240.0.0 would be required. This allows anything from 10.0.0.0 - 10.15.255.255 to talk to each other. The only catch here is now you have an effective subnet w/ um.. 1,048,574 possible addresses.

If your address ranges were instead 10.10.140.x and 10.10.50.x you could use a mask of 255.255.0.0 and limit yourself to only 65534 possible addresses.

Last edited:
My company uses ethernet extensively. For very basic requirements your best bet is either N-tron or Phoenix Contact.

Next up the line is Hirschmann, then MOXA.

N-tron Link: http://www.n-tron.com/products_list.php?series=22

We purchase N-tron through our AB distributor.

EDIT: Are you sure you looked at the correct Phoenix Contact equipment? In my experience, they have been alot less than $800.

Here is what you should be looking at http://www.phoenixcontact.com/automation/32119_30385.htm

That Phoenix part appears to be a switch rather than a router. We are looking for something that will link our PLC/PanelView ethernet network (with standard fixed IP addresses) to the plant network. I would assume that a switch would require our IPs to match the plant network, and a router would allow us to keep them always the same.

Last edited: