Ethernet network

Deer

Hi folks,

I have 4 units SLC 5/05 where all processor already connect to ethernet network through a switch.
I just try to connect and online with them through a switch / hub.
As I know, to online on ethernet network, I choose ethernet devices on RSLinx and MUST assign a host name or IP address for each SLC 5/05 that would be to online.
My problem, I don't know what the IP address for each processor.
May be anyone can help me how to know the IP address number for devices that communicate through the ethernet ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Regards,

Deer

Hi there,

If you goto channel configuration you should see an ip address box where you enter your subnet mask and ip address.

Thanks Garryt1,

How I can reach to channel configuration since I can't online with processors and to online with the processor we must configure the RSLinx first.
May be you mean I should online with the serial port / Channel 0 first ( one by one processor) ?
Is it only oneway to online with processor?

Thanks again for the share.

Regards,

Deer

Did the person that setup the network document anything? If its attached to the companies network then IT or MIS would know what the addresses were, cant put anything on a network unless someone tells you tells you what address to use.

The documentation for the 5/05 should show what the address is. If you have a copy of the existing programs for these machines then open those to check configuration.

If not, and you dont have any of the above, then connect one by one.

BootP

If they havent been configured, you can use a BOOTP server to give the 5/05's IP addresses. I believe it is a free program from AB, and may even come with RSLinx. If you cant find / use it, you can always attach with DF1 to the port on the 5/05 and assign them a IP that way. I would definetly check with the manufactuer first tho, they should have been configured.

Matt

When I get into this situation, I always go around to each controller and connect via the RS-232 port to read the IP address from the controller configuration. Then I write the IP address inside the controller door !

You can also use some network analysis tools (I use LANScan) to "sniff out" the IP addresses by sorting on MAC ID's that are unique to Allen-Bradley (all begin with 00:00:BC), but that's a fairly complicated thing to do and you won't know absolutely for sure which controller is which, though you will be able to contact them all using RSLinx.

Thanks ALL for your thought...
I can online with all processor one by one using channel 0, and next step I think I should make a documentation and write all the IP address for all processor and attached it on the processor door.
Again... thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Deer