Explicit Messaging in CX

Sett

I am looking for good resources to learn more about how to message a NXR-ILM08C-EIT with a CJ2M omron plc. I am relatively new and will appreciate everything

Have you ever setup any EtherNet/IP device?

This is an Omron product and should be fairly easy to setup. You'll need Network Configurator. Add the CJ2M and the NXR to the network from the tree on the left. Set the IP addresses for both then double click on the PLC to setup the data exchange. Download to the PLC.

There is a lot to explain so you'll need to ask more specific questions.

Edit: So I just noticed you are asking about Explicit messages. What is the reason you want to do this?

I am trying to get a lot of the parameter data onto the HMI and have never gotten into Explicit messaging. The network configurator works and I am able to see the parameter data through that fairly easily.

I guess what I am asking is "Where do I find more information about explicit messaging that will be easy for a new guy to digest"

Thanks for Replies,

To be more specific with what I am asking, I am using an Omron Master (NXR-ILM08C-EIT) paired with a CJ2M-CPU33. We have set up the device using balluff BNI-302-002-K006 Hubs. These Hubs require parameters done through Network Configurator and ConfiguratorFDT. What I am attempting to do now is, without any software, setup these devices via explicit messaging commands. The manual for the NXR (w619) speaks a little upon using Network configurator OR explicit messaging to setup a master. Being an Integrator, literally having set up thousands of EIP devices using EDS and IMPLICIT Messaging(Thanks for checking), have never had the use for explicit message and CMND instructions via CX-Programmer. I am asking is there a good resource that you all have used to setup explicit message commands? Sorry for being vague in my first post.

NXR.JPG

A snip from the data sheet shows it has a few supported services. They appear to be standard ODVA services. I don't know the best resource for identifying the parameters. (Class, Instance, Attribute, etc...).

For experimenting and digesting, try sending Explicit messages between 2 CJ2 PLCs. Omron documents the services available in the PLCs. You can find a comprehensive list in W465 CS CJ-Series EtherNet/IP Units Operation Manual.

Use the EXPLT(720) Explicit Message Send instruction. You won't need to use any of the other eplicit message instructions. You can populate this instruction with all the necessary parameters. Send, then you get a response.

Additionally, you can use a tool in Network Configurator for testing EIP messages. Go to Tools > Setup Parameters.

I'm sure others could suggest third party tools as well. It's fun to experiment with.

You posted as I was posting above. I see now what you are trying to do.

My post above is good for practice since the services are documented. The trick is to find this list for the devices you wish to configure. I didn't search any farther than the data sheet above.

What you want to do could be easy.... or can be a daunting task. In many cases you'll want to verify your settings were set correctly. In this case, you'll want to read them back. I've done this on a few occasions where it turned into a **** load of ladder and slow communications. Depends on how many settings. Just a warning so you don't go crazy with it.

Obviously what you said was an 'e​w​o​n' load of ladder.

We all know that's the four letter word that gets censored around here.