Exporting data from Studio 5000 to Excel spreadsheet

jrsnydley

Hello everyone,

I have a machine that is running with a 5069-L320ERM in Studio 5000 version 30. I have a tag in the program named "Block_Height" that I would like to keep some historical data on. I figured I would probably build this into an array and then export it into an Excel spreadsheet. Is this the best way to accomplish this and if so, how do I export the data to Excel?

Thank you

You can move data from the L320 to excel using RSLinx. Do a google search for "RSLinx to Excel" and several videos should show up. It used the "DDE/OPC" topic feature in RSLinx.

Hello everyone,

I have a machine that is running with a 5069-L320ERM in Studio 5000 version 30. I have a tag in the program named "Block_Height" that I would like to keep some historical data on. I figured I would probably build this into an array and then export it into an Excel spreadsheet. Is this the best way to accomplish this and if so, how do I export the data to Excel?

Thank you

The way that I do it uses the copy/paste buffer.

In 'Monitor Tags' tab of the Controller tags, expand out your array. Select the Style you want - decimal, binary, etc.

Use Edit -> select all, then edit-> copy

Select your spreadsheet and paste. I normally use a spreadsheet tab of 'Paste' or 'Raw'.

You get the first column with all of the tagnames, but the second column is your data, in any style that you chose.

Use the data in another tab of your spreadsheet, or copy just your data now that it is in Excel.

The copy/paste for my 60K data array takes about 15 minutes on a decent PC. So it is not the fastest way to do it.

The ACD file is binary and not easy to decode. If you Save As an L5X, you can pull your data out of the XML file. You need to deal with a bunch of parsing to get your data, then put it into a format that Excel will read, like Comma Separated Value (CSV). If you can find some code that does the parsing, that may be easier and more reliable than copy/paste.

If you save as L5K, it's a less-structured text file that will require a bit less programming to decode. But it was still too much effort for me.

Hopefully someone else has an easy way that I didn't think of .. and I can use it too!