Exporting PLC Data into Excel. OPC?

I would like to capture my PLC data values and write values back using excel. I know this can be done, but I really dont know where to start. I have heard of OPC clients, but would appreciate an explanation, and also somewhere to start.

Thanks.

OPC is 'just' another way, how to communicate, you can have OPC servers and OPC clients, just like in normal network, it can be pc with appropriate software. Reading/writing data via excel can be done via server/client with particular connection ability.

you can found some OPC servers here:

http://www.opcfoundation.org/Default.aspx/08_links/08_demoserv_clients.asp?MID=Links

... i have some small experience with merz products - you can try them for free - and i'm sure they have way how to connect with any odbc and excel, but i'm using other company's products so i cannot offer example ...

http://www.merz-sw.com/opc/opc_ddetoopc.php3

... on the bottom of page is pdf describing how connect 'merz' via excel ... maybe it help you.

If you have an OPC driver, you can write your own code in Visual Basic to accomplish this. Or, FasTrak SoftWorks, Inc. has a handful of demos that we supply with our OPC Drivers, which would already do pretty much what you're looking for. We have an Excel Demo that will read values and allow you to Write them as well. Feel free to contact me by email for further info or to discuss. [email protected]

Copying links from RSLinx to Excel is easy enough, but to write values from Excel back to the PLC(s) will require a little bit of VBA code. Go to RSLinx Help and search for "excel". There are a couple of simple examples that you can build from. Be aware that you can send excel worksheet values to the PLC, but I have had no luck using variables within my VBA code (or constants or literals). I am most familiar with DDE. OPC should be very similar. Also, you need RSLinx Pro or Gateway. RSLinx Lite won't do it.

FasTrak's demos will give you some starting examples to expand on, or just use what we have, for doing what you're looking for.