ExpressCard to PCMCIA Adapter for 1784-PCMK

One thing worth mentioning. When I first installed the adapter it detected right away and so did the PCMK card. Today when I went to tried it for the 2nd time it wouldn't detect the PCMK card. So I uninstalled the driver for the adpater and then re-inserted the card which re-installed the driver. It was then able to recognize the PCMK card again. Not sure what will happen next time I power off and on my computer and if I'll have to do this every time. I'll post another comment if that is the case.
This morning I inserted the adapter with the PCMK card in it already and it detected right away.

So I guess all the necessary Windows 7 driver are included with RSLinx. It isn't necessary to install a separate driver. Which I can't find on the RA website anyway!

One more question. Somewhere in the past, I understood that RSLinx couldn't run as a service under W7. Is this still true?

One more question. Somewhere in the past, I understood that RSLinx couldn't run as a service under W7. Is this still true?
I heard that too. I just tried it in my VMWare image and once running as a service I was not able to open the RSLinx application to set-up drivers, look at RSWho, etc. Now when I went to RSLogix500 and went to communications it still showed the drivers I had previously set-up in RSLinx. So I guess (and I'm only guessing) that once you set-up your drivers you could run RSLinx as a service.

Just re-stating what some have already said but I just got the 16-bit PCMCIA/32-bit CARDBUS PC Card Adapter from Shopdigi and it is working with my PCMK card.

I have a Dell Precision M6600 running Windows 7 64-bit. First I installed the adapter which was detected right away and the drivers were successfully installed. I then plugged in one my PCMK cards which was detected right away and the drivers were successfully installed. I should mention I already had RSLinx 2.57.00.14 CPR9 SR3 installed. Set up my PCMK driver in RSLinx as usual, connected it directly to a SLC5/04 and there it was; thing of beauty.

Now my next step is to install RSLogix 5 and 500 on a VMWare image running Windows 7 32-bit and connect through the host system using RSLinx Gateway. Once I try it I'll post back to let you know if it worked or not.

Do you have a link to the adapter that you used, i am having problems finding the one you listed, just want to make sure we get the right one.

Can't help but revive this thread. Rob, you have the same Dell M6600 that I have, and I would love to go the route you did with the adapter. One of my customers has lots of SLC 5/03's and a few 5/04's that I maintain.

Do you have any updates on your experience with this setup now that you've had it for a while? Also, I'd be curious if you've used the PCMK to talk DH485.

Thanks for any updates you may have. It would be nice to be able to stop carrying my old PCMCIA-equipped laptop around to service these old processors.

I have not had the opportunity to use the set-up very much since I posted. Most of my work these days is with Ethernet/IP controllers. However, it just so happens I have a PLC-5 on my desk that I will be connecting to this week. I will let you know how that goes. I do have a Micrologix hanging around so I'll try that too and post back.

The adapter arrived today. Drivers installed automatically when I plugged it in. Same for the PCMK. Simple plug and play. Set up a driver for DH+ in RSLinx and connected to a 5/04. It worked. The only thing I had to do was restart the driver once after configuring it. Downloaded and went online without a problem.

Then I switched the driver over to DH485 and connected to a 5/02. Had to restart the driver once again for the change to be recognized, but this worked just as well.

Communication speed seems no different than with my old XP machine using the PCMK. This adapter leaves the PCMK hanging out in the breeze, so you have to be careful with it. Not a lot different though, since we've always had to be gentle with the delicate cable connection to the card anyway.

It really is that simple, just like Rob has said (thanks for sharing, Rob)(y). It doesn't require any software installation or other changes to the PC. I'm ordering more for our other engineers. See the following pictures. I am taking it to a customer's plant to make program changes on a 5/04 tomorrow to give it a real field test.

504.jpg 502.jpg PCMK with Adapter.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine yesterday and when I hooked up to our DH+ network I was able to see all the SLCs, and pass-thru to DH-485 to see the panelviews. I was able to upload from a panelview 550 to my PC but it seems I wasn't able to download at all. It kept getting stuck on verifying the terminal, like no data was being sent/received back. Anyone else see this issue with the adapter and a PCMK?

Got mine yesterday and when I hooked up to our DH+ network I was able to see all the SLCs, and pass-thru to DH-485 to see the panelviews. I was able to upload from a panelview 550 to my PC but it seems I wasn't able to download at all. It kept getting stuck on verifying the terminal, like no data was being sent/received back. Anyone else see this issue with the adapter and a PCMK?

I haven't connected to a PanelView through this setup yet. Most I connect to are on Ethernet, but I have had no issues with SLC's so far.