External ethernet switch needed?

amnOakRidge

I am planning a new system and want to use a CompactLogix 5370 L2 with a PanelView Plus 7, and I plan to use ethernet communications between the two. Is an ethernet switch required to connect these components together? If not, will I be able to communicate with the PVP 7 if I connect my laptop to the other ethernet port of the CompactLogix? Do the dual ethernet ports of the CompactLogix function like an ethernet switch?

You can connect directly, without a switch in between.

On the 5370 series Compact Logix, you can think of the ethernet ports as a three-port unmanaged switch. Two ports are accessible to you for plugging in HMI's and laptops and whatnot, and the third is internally connected to the PLC. So in general, the answer to all of your questions is "yes"