Extracting tag names from Allen Bradley PLC.

tanaya

Hello
I am able to read tag values from a PLC after providing the tag name using an open source Ethernet/IP library.
I wanted to know if it is possible to extract tag names from a PLC without using RSLogix or RSLinx softwares.

Thanks in advance. :)

Check the OPC/ua driver from Inductive Automation. I know it runs on linux, I believe it is free, and am pretty sure it will browse logix tags. I know it can browse micrologix tags.

I thought description and symbols are not saved in the PLC memory. I am not sure but I think tanaya is referring to the symbols/description. Is there a way we can save such into the plc together with the program?

I think the OP is looking for the commands that cause the controller to list its database tags, and the Ignition OPC-UA server certainly knows them and uses them.

The Tag Database includes the names and the datatypes, but not the comments.

I have very little interest in the Linux tools developed for interfacing with ControlLogix over EtherNet/IP because they have been so casually abandoned by their developers.