EZ Touch Screen Problem?

BoxerBrats said:
Another problem I saw yesterday, I have one section where there are 2 buttons (both are momentary) I use set / rst contacts to latch them in my probram. So basically button 1 latches, and button 2 unlatches... the problem is no matter which button I push it sends it to the same input.... I have checked both buttons have diffrent adddress, and everything looks right in my logic...

Do you use the PLC to set and rst the same contacts the screen uses?

ie. If TS ON = C100, TS OFF = C101, do you have a SET C100 or C101 and RST C100 or C101 in the PLC?

marksji said:
Do you use the PLC to set and rst the same contacts the screen uses?

ie. If TS ON = C100, TS OFF = C101, do you have a SET C100 or C101 and RST C100 or C101 in the PLC?

no I dont used "2-V4000/11" to address the tag on the touch screen to set c101

then used the tag address of "2-v4000/12" to reset C101

also on EZTOUCH
address "2-v4000/11" = B4000.11 on my ladder logic
address "2-v4000/12" = B4000.12 on my ladder logic

'TS program' means the program running in the EZ-Touch...

I'm a bit confused... I think I've got this right:
In the touch screen you have:
momentary on button set to 2-v4000/11
momentary on button set to 2-v4000/12

In the PLC these are addressed as B4000.11 and B4000.12.

How are B4000.11 and B4000.12 used in the ladder logic? Do you ever attempt to SET, RST, or OUT to these bits? If so I think that is your problem... Here's how the EZ-T works with momentary on buttons:

User presses button:
1 - EZ-T will turn on the bit
2 - EZ-T will check that the bit is on, if yes GOTO 3, if no GOTO 1
3 - EZ-T will turn off the bit
4 - EZ-T will check that the bit is off, if yes done, if no GOTO 3

So if the PLC is trying to control the same bit you will have problems...

@ Tom
I've hit the "stuck button" problem before as well, and it I agree it is usually related to a communications hiccup. As a precaution on any critical item I put a timer in the ladder logic, and if the button is still on after one or two seconds I use the ladder logic to reset it. (Yes, I actually use the reset function for this!) That keeps a hung button from causing fits in the process.
Is your experience here related to a specific PLC? In more than 30 years DCS experience and much more limited four years Siemens S7 experience I've never had this problem. Do you consider this to be a general PLC problem?

RMA said:
@ Tom

Is your experience here related to a specific PLC? In more than 30 years DCS experience and much more limited four years Siemens S7 experience I've never had this problem. Do you consider this to be a general PLC problem?

Speaking only for myself... I would think that this is a communications problem in general. If you have any device communicating with another device and communication fails what happens? This is something that NEEDS to be considered before implimenting communications in the real world.

RMA said:
@ Tom

Actually, I consider it to be a general Operator Interface problem. I've seen it with Cutler Hammer, EZTouch, and Exor. Not often, but once is enough to make you gun shy.

First – Make sure you are using K-Sequence for your Protocol. The DirectNet protocol does not support writing to individual bits.

Second – Open the Help Topics in EZ-Touch. Go to DirectLogic PLC Help Topics, K-Sequence, K-Sequence Protocol. If you look on the chart for the memory range that you are trying to address V4000, which falls under the V1200-V7577, you will notice that it only supports WORD value types. You cannot write to individual bits in the V1200-V7577 memory range. So you CANNOT use V4000/11 to write to B4000.11

In your project you want to use the C-Bits.

Like you said –
EZ-Touch
Start Button = C100
Start Indicator = C101

DirectSoft
Start Button = C100
Start Indicator = C101

Fix this in your applications I bet just about all the problems you are having will go away.

Since we are on the "stuck on" button subject, I have one. Had a customer call and complain about an alarm going off on his machine. It has a timer in the logic that is only started when a specific button on the EZT is pressed. The machine has been in service for 5 years without any problems, "it just started doing it all of a sudden". I have not had time to look into it at any depth yet, thought I might get some helpful insight. I have only been with the company two days and still learning my way around AD soft/hardware.
Thanks,
Micheal

All,

In case some of you are thinking that I really missed a communications problem with the buttons, I was thinking of an EZ-TEXT panel (which has 4 or 5 physical pushbuttons) and getting it confused with the EZ-Touch panel. I have experienced an actual stuck button on an EZ-Text panel.

Joe, you should follow the instructions in the EZ-Touch manual for "mapping" your "C" type bits from the PLC into the EZ-Touch. The "C" bits are "bit-addressable" but the V-memory is not bit addressable in most cases.

Check addressing

also on EZTOUCH
address "2-v4000/11" = B4000.11 on my ladder logic
address "2-v4000/12" = B4000.12 on my ladder logic

BTW: You may have been looking at the wrong bits

EZTouch :: DirectSoft
v4000/11 = B4000.9
V4000/12 = B4000.10

The EZTouch addresses BITS in OCTAL.
The DirectSoft addresses BITS in DECIMAL.

(DirectSoft addresses words, contacts, timers, counters, pointers, Inputs, and outputs in OCTAL---but the bit portion of the B address is DECIMAL. (Boooo.dd)

Tark said:
First – Make sure you are using K-Sequence for your Protocol. The DirectNet protocol does not support writing to individual bits.

Second – Open the Help Topics in EZ-Touch. Go to DirectLogic PLC Help Topics, K-Sequence, K-Sequence Protocol. If you look on the chart for the memory range that you are trying to address V4000, which falls under the V1200-V7577, you will notice that it only supports WORD value types. You cannot write to individual bits in the V1200-V7577 memory range. So you CANNOT use V4000/11 to write to B4000.11

In your project you want to use the C-Bits.

Like you said –
EZ-Touch
Start Button = C100
Start Indicator = C101

DirectSoft
Start Button = C100
Start Indicator = C101

Fix this in your applications I bet just about all the problems you are having will go away.

Looks like you know your stuff. Have a major problem, Have a EZTouch touch screen hooked up to a saw mill, works fine for a while then then during operation it will freeze up and remove setting that that been put in. We then have to emergency stop the machine.There has also been an error message that comes up " PLC MSG Timeout CMD=A2. Any help would be great.