Factory talk Site edition issue

James Mcquade

Hi all,

i wanted to run this by everyone to see if has happened to anyone.

we have multiple site edition applications running in the plant.
yesterday the application was running fine and going through a system process.
this morning, the application was closed. we tried to restart the application and it could not find the required sql server localdb instance and closed.

has this happened to anyone before?
where would the sql file be located and what would be the file extension?

i have searched the recycle bin, searched for file extensions, everything i can think of with no luck. the previous controls guys never believed in making a hard drive image of the pc or backing up the application, plc programs.

if i open up SQL and say connect, if it finds the file, would i be able to locate it in explorer? if it doesn't find the file, will it try to create a new file?

any help would be much appreciated, we were supposed to start production at 5 am tomorrow but that has been scraped until this issue gets fixed.

as always, thanks for everyone's help and i will try to pass it on.
james

My understanding, sometimes Windows updates can mess up the SQL Server part of FactoryTalk View. I would try to roll back recent Windows updates. Or use Windows Restore to go back to a previous point. If that doesn't work, I would try to do a Repair on the FTV installation.

I would "Shutdown" then "Reboot" and finally perform a "Restart" of the PC.

Have you reviewed FactoryTalk Diagnostics Viewer? it should help in troubleshooting what the issues are...

The SQL LocalDB instances are typically at this location.
C:\Windows\System32\Config\Systemprofile\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances

You should have a RA folder "FTViewX64TagDB" at that location and the error.log files should help determining what problems exists.

KuulKuum,

you were spot on! the IT guy thinks the files are corrupt, i'm going to make a copy of them anyway as a safety net just in case.
no RA folder though. something is going on with windows and we may have to reinstall everything.
thanks everyone,
james

something is going on with windows and we may have to reinstall everything.

My experience is generally the opposite, FTView craps out and you have to reinstall it. Last it happened to me that was the official Rockwell advice... it ended up working out nicely as I removed the physical machine and virtualised the new instance, but sucked having to deal with it on a weekend. Windows was untouched as the system was air gapped and IT didn't have any access at all.