Factory Talk Transaction manager

NoLegalMoves

I'm trying to log a string from a PLC (RS Logix 5000) to a SQL table using a stored procedure
I only manage to get the first character of the PLC string into the database

Here are the data types I am using
PLC variable = STRING
Stored procedure declared variable: varchar(50)
SQL table column : varchar(50)
In my FTTM, the OLEDBConnector shows the format of the parameter as CHAR (in the transaction, the datapoint format shows as CHAR as well)
What is wrong!?

I seem to remember that getting strings to work did take some effort but I haven't done it for a while.

I used a definition of the Data Point as something like: HMI_Recipe.NAME declared as a string. Strings are effectively an array of chars; It is important to select the string and not a component of the array as suggested by some of the help available.

The database entry is TEXT

Good luck,

Nick

Data Object.PNG Data point.PNG Database entry.PNG Transaction binding.jpg

I don't seem to have trouble in other direct table inserts from FTTM. I use the varchar(50) data type then

I tried to change the data type in the database table and the stored procedure to the text data type but now I can't even validate my stored procedure and I get a weird message:
Msg 402, Level 16, State 1, Procedure spUpdate_T_mytable, Line 29
The data types text and text are incompatible in the equal to operator.

I tried to call Rockwell yesterday and after 2 hours they hung up on me, I tried to call back but they were closed.

I m kind of stuck still...I will try experimenting with data types some more...🍑

Somehow I managed to make it work.. I did not change any of the data type but I rebuilt the Connector in FTTM. Also I added a CAST instruction to my stored procedure to force the data type. Not sure if it is what did it though...
CAST(mystring as varchar(50))

I'm guessing that casting the string to Varchar(50) did the trick and I'm glad you got it working.

FTTM is a resource sink. My company sold a machine with data logging and batch export to .csv files for no additional cost. I estimate that it cost us ÂŁ30,000 to implement. I was project manager and no longer write software but had to intervene personally to get FTTM working. I am not keen to use it ever again.

Nick