Factorytalk 8.0 Upgrade

midoner

Hi All, I have a factorytalk SE 8.0 system (1 server and 2 clients) installed with windows 2008 R2 operating system for the server and windows 7 for the clients.

Our customer need to upgrade the operating systems and the hardware of the stations to newest versions.
So if I'm to upgrade to windows server 2016 and windows 10 :
- Which version of factorytalk SE I need ? or 8.0 still supported ?

- Can I transfer licenses to the new hardware ?
- Can I upgrade the project created with 8.0 ?

Thanks

Rockwell added official Windows 10 support in FTV version 9.0. I'm pretty sure W10 worked with version 8, but it is not officially supported. I want to say I started using Windows 10 with version 8.0 or 8.2. That was some time back, but I know I was using it well before it was officially supported.

If upgrading I would jump to the newest rather than an older version. As of today, v12 is the newest version. It supports Windows 10 and Server 2012/16/19.

For the most part an upgrade is easy enough. The one place where it can be an issue is with alarms. Version 8 supported the legacy HMI Tag Alarms and the newer FactoryTalk Alarms & Events. The newer version of FTV removed support for HMI tag Alarms so if those are being used, they would have to be converted to the newer alarming tool.

Existing licenses can be rehosted so they can be used on the new system.

OG

Thank you Operaghost

So I have a confirmation that windows 10 will be used for the server and the workstations. We are not using the HMI tag alarms system in our project only Alarms&Events.
In addition to factorytalk there is RSLogix 5000 designer version 20 installed, do I need to upgrade it too or it's ok to use it with factorytalk 12 ?
Is there a migration tool for the factorytalk project or I need just to open it with the new version ?

Thanks Operaghost

So basically just I need to purchase Factorytalk view SE V12 and rehost the old licenses.

Just another question please, about the Historian SE they mention that it is not compatible with windows 10 in production environment, any suggestions or a work around ?

As for Historian...I've always used it with a server. You might check with the IT team and see if they can provide a virtual server that can be used for Historian. And if you do go that route, you might consider having the View SE Server on that virtual machine as well. View SE will run on Windows 10, but that would be one less piece of hardware if you can have both Historian and View SE on the same machine, or even separate virtual machines.

As for the licenses, you might check with the local distribution/sales. They might be able to offer a TechConnect services contract on the existing View SE system. That would entitle you to all upgrades for one year. Then you could just upgrade what you have instead of purchasing a new license. It could be less expensive. It would be helpful to have the service contract if you ran into any issues as part of the upgrade.

OG