Factorytalk borrow activation+ Noob question

Martindag

Hiya,

I got few Rockwell product that im using at work mostly to do maintenance stuff and small programming but im looking for a way to learn more about Rslogix5000 and View studio.

I was thinking to borrow my Disk and install them at home but i was wondering if i understood right about the borrow activation.

If i schedule a friday afternoon to borrow the key for the weekend on the calendar, will it reactivate it back at work like monday at 7ham automaticly ? or do i have to rehost them all manualy ?

Also, about the emulator of Rslogix 5000, is that a software you can trust ? or its not really legit ? .

I tried the simulator also of Rslogix 5000, their trial, i didnt really like them. I wish logixpro 500 simulator would make a version of logix5000, these was awesome.

Other than the emulator, if its legit to use, is there any other way or software that you would recommend at home to learn more about it ?.

Thanks !

Martindag,

I'm not sure about your posting, but here goes.

When you refer to my disk, I assume you mean the software install disk and not the floppy disk activation method.

If you are talking about borrowing the Factory talk activation file, that depends on how the installation is set up.
a. if this is a stand alone version and not a server install, then you must rehost the activation when its moved and you are only allowed 3 moves per year without having to contact AB.
b. if this is a server install and depending on what version of factory talk activation, you can borrow the activation for a specified time, but your laptop must be connected to the server to get the activation. In the mean time, the license is checked out and the software when run will be in the grace period for 7 days.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
This is the way I currently understand the system.

james

Yeah my bad, my disk i was talking about my software install disk.

Im abit suprised that you can do only 3 move per year.

When you say a server install, do you talk about MQL server ? it asked me while installing my software for it but i had no account or password.

The software i got are:

RSNetworx
RSLogix 500
RSLogix 5000
RSLogix Linx Classic

The three moves per year are because you're not generally supposed to move activations, except when migrating to a new PC. At least that's the idea.

I've not done a lot with borrowing and returning licenses, but I know that if you have your personal laptop at work, and it's on the same network as your work PC that contains the license, you can simply add the PC name of your work PC to the list of locations to look for an activation, and your personal copy of RSLogix will be activated and you can use it to your heart's content - provided, of course, that you stay connected to the network, and the license is not being used on the work PC first!

As far as borrowing - I would imagine you can do the same thing, just connect your personal laptop to the network at work and borrow the license. You are correct in that if you set the borrow period for two days, after 48 hours your activation on the home PC will automatically expire, and it will automatically become available again on the work PC, even if you don't reconnect your home laptop to the work network.

Just be aware that if someone comes in over the weekend to do something on the PLC, then you have their license and you might ruffle some feathers. You've got the 7 day grace period, so they'll be able to do what they need to do, but whether or not people would get upset about it is a question only you can answer :)

When you say a server install, do you talk about MQL server ?

You can install FactoryTalk Activation Manager as a server application that checks out licenses to multiple computers over a network. This way you can have Rockwell software installed on dozens of machines and not have to have licenses for every install. However, Rockwell sells cheaper "node-locked" licenses that can only be used on the PC of which it is locally installed on.

If you have concurrent (not node-locked) license on a server, you can "borrow" and "return" licenses between PCs.

Also note that the "server" doesn't have to be install on a physical server. Any PC with Factorytalk activation installed can act as a server.

Stand alone licence you can REHOST as many times as you want, it is just if you fail to recover the licence that you have three attempts.

Scenario 1:
You log in to the web with the PC that currently has the activation, and return the licence.
You log in to the web with the other PC and acquire the licence.
Total number of times per year: unlimited

Scenario 2:
You lose the PC that currently has the activation in an incident involving a porpoise and some sort of top secret government chemical.
You log in to the web with the other PC and hit 'reset activation'.
You then user other PC to acquire the recent.
Total number of times per year: three
If you exceed three: call Rockwell Tech Support (regardless of wether you have a support contract) and come up with a more and more elaborate explaination each time you need to reset.

So today i tried Factorytalk borrow activation

I borrowed RSLogix 5000 and View Studio 8.20 from work for 8 hours. both was alright in the Find activation they were going to expire tomorrow.

So i come back home and log in Factorytalk and for some reason i could only activate RSLogix 5000...

For my View Studio i dont know why but i got no download available.

You might think about moving your activations to the dongle that way it doesn't care what computer the software is loaded on. It's still your activations on whatever machine you use it on. If you have to do reinstall for whatever reason it's not a problem.
I switched mine over some years back and have no regrets.