FactoryTalk Me Studio question

40mpg

Hello,

In my controller, I have a tag called TestNum of INT type. The tag is an array that contains 16 bits, TestNum.0 ,TesNum.1 ...etc

I can expand the tag and toggle each individual bit within the controller's tag browser.

Here is my question: in Factory Talk ME Studio, I tried to tie a button to the individual bit within the TestNum tag but I cannot expand the TestNum tag! The tag browser in FactoryTalk ME just shows the tag TestNum as a single tag.

Am I doing this right? I cannot select individual bit within a tag ?

P.S The controller is the emulated one running on Studio 5000 Emulate

I am using Studio 5000 v32 and FactoryTalk Studio ME v 32

Last edited:
I think you can just manually append the “.1” and it should work.

I did just that, as I saw the original connection did just that.

The button did take it without complaining...

What I did was type this into the "connection" field: '{1756Emulate}TestNum.8'

I'm not sure if it is working as I am trying to force the individual bit within the TestNum tag but it keeps going back to '0' , i'm pretty sure im doing the forcing wrong.

FactoryTalk View Studio doesn't have a functional "bit picker" for the individual bits in an INT type tag like the Studio 5000 (and all the RSLogix before it) does.

It has to do with them not being true "atomic data types"; an INT isn't actually a set of BOOLs. It was also developed during a time when Rockwell Software was suffering from some bad user experience and outsourcing problems. It got so bad there are a couple of guys facing prison for it, a prospect I find encouraging.

So instead you manually type the ".x" to address an individual bit of an INT or DINT, in an expression that calls for a single bit address.

Remember that the "Force" function in ControlLogix can only override Input and Output tags. A memory-only tag can't be forced, and if you simply go online and "poke" a value into the data tag, it's easy for it to be over-written by other communication channels or logic.

Last edited:
FactoryTalk View Studio doesn't have a functional "bit picker" for the individual bits in an INT type tag like the Studio 5000 (and all the RSLogix before it) does.

It has to do with them not being true "atomic data types"; an INT isn't actually a set of BOOLs. It was also developed during a time when Rockwell Software was suffering from some bad user experience and outsourcing problems. It got so bad there are a couple of guys facing prison for it, a prospect I find encouraging.

So instead you manually type the ".x" to address an individual bit of an INT or DINT, in an expression that calls for a single bit address.

Remember that the "Force" function in ControlLogix can only override Input and Output tags. A memory-only tag can't be forced, and if you simply go online and "poke" a value into the data tag, it's easy for it to be over-written by other communication channels or logic.

Wow! that explains it, thank you for your answer!

It was also developed during a time when Rockwell Software was suffering from some bad user experience and outsourcing problems. It got so bad there are a couple of guys facing prison for it, a prospect I find encouraging.
...I mean, I've definitely seen code so bad that I thought it should be illegal, but I never thought I'd actually see someone jailed for writing s*** code :eek: