FactoryTalk View can't find PLC on network

MartyMaucher

Not sure why this View Studio can't see the CompactLogix L33ER on the right side of the shortcut assignment window. It can see it on the left side under the System folder. I've tried updating FactoryTalk Services, rebooting, but nothing helps. Any ideas?

CantFindPLC.jpg

I would make sure that you have the most recent patch roll-up for FactoryTalk View. I've had similar issues that were resolved by that.

Ok, I've updated the patches to Number: 17. Still keeps browsing but not finding the L33 controller. This is running on a Win 7 laptop. RS Linx Classic can find it ok. Hmmm....

CantFindPLC2.jpg

RSLinx Enterprise uses a broadcast packet to search the network for EtherNet/IP devices. If you have a VPN active (or sometimes if it's bound to your network at all) or have both wired and wireless networks connected at the same time, that can confuse RSLinx Enterprise. RSLinx Classic tends to remember devices in its schema, and of course it has the Station/IP list in the "Ethernet Devices" driver (not in the "EtherNet/IP" driver) that explicitly requires IP addresses to be entered into the list and does not use the automatic browse.

You can try to right-click and insert the controller manually into the schema.

In general, even when RSLinx Enterprise doesn't have support for a specific controller firmware revision, it will still show in the network browse.

I was adding much the same but I see Ken is quicker out of the blocks here. So I'll simply add the technote that is most closely related to the good advice given...

41841 - RSLinx Enterprise does not Automatically Browse to my Device
Access Level: TechConnect

It's a common enough issue. Also, sometimes the Ethernet driver itself can be corrupted and needs to be deleted and recreated.

Regards,
George

Good to hear and happy browsing.

Ken Roach said:
...In general, even when RSLinx Enterprise doesn't have support for a specific controller firmware revision, it will still show in the network browse.

I've spotted an "In general"! But why do you suppose that is the case, Ken?

When I say "in general", I mean "if you exclude the uncommon and/or irrelevant exceptions". When you're around lawyers and engineers all day, trying to spot expensive gotchas in purchase specifications, you tend to be careful with absolute statements.

Most devices with EtherNet/IP protocol will return a recognizable response when they see a "List Identity" broadcast command.

But there have been a small handful of exceptions (the most notable was the very first firmware for the MicroLogix 1100), and probably will be more in the future. Those devices couldn't be "seen" by the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Enterprise.

Sorry for the late reply, another busy week over...

Ken, apologies for not being entirely straight with you. I was attempting to ask my question in an effort to draw a specific answer...

Ken Roach said:
...even when RSLinx Enterprise doesn't have support for a specific controller...it will still show in the network browse.

Geospark said:
...why do you suppose that is the case, Ken?

Ken Roach said:
...there have been a small handful of exceptions...Those devices couldn't be "seen" by the EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Enterprise.

The answer I was after is that the "network browse" i.e. a browse through a driver under "Networks and Devices" in FactoryTalk View Studio, is an RSLinx Classic browse and is not directly related to a browse under RSLinx Enterprise drivers. The drivers we configure in RSLinx Classic are mimicked under Networks and Devices and can display devices for which their EDS files are registered.

The "network browse" will often work where RSLinx Enterprise does not because RSLinx Enterprise may not be updated sufficient enough to use the same EDS files as RSLinx Classic.

I'm not saying you did not know this. It's just in reading your initial statement it could be interpreted by others as you're saying that both browses are the same and that for some reason, when it won't work for one, it will for the other. I'm posting this for anyone who may be of this thinking, either before or as a result of reading your statement.

When RSLinx Enterprise does support a device, but it won't show in RSLinx Enterprise when it will in Networks and Devices, then yes, it usually takes a manual addition of the device to kickstart the comms, for the reasons you've outlined.

Another small addition - The List Identity request will return enough device information to instruct the driver and software as to which EDS file to refer to in order to sucessfully create the device instance, and which icon file to use. This is why, when a device EDS file is not registered, a device will not display, or shows as unrecognized. The List Identity request, alone, cannot make a device automatically display under a driver. An EDS file must be properly registered, whether for RSLinx Classic, or RSLinx Enterprise.

Regards,
George

I've had ones before that nothing made them show in Enterprise. I ended up manually adding them, and it usually works. I don't suggest it as a general practice, but in a pinch with a line down it's worth a try.