Factorytalk View & RSEmulate 500

junior

I'm trying to test out my application that involves a PVP+ and a RSLogix 500 program. I can run the PLC program in RSEmulate 500 no problem, but I am having trouble incroporating the Panelview plus program into the emulation.

Searching around this site, and the internet, I've found some breif instructions that it can be done through setting up a OPC topic in RSlinx and then connecting to it through Factorytalk view, but I haven't been able to find any instructions. Are there any? I've also searched the Rockwell knowledge base and the instructions I'm looking for seem to be locked out.

Anyone know of any sites I could find a detailed instructions on this?

TIA
Jr.

You cannot use RSLinx Enterprise to create a communications connection to the emulator like you normally would a PLC. So you must create a separate data server in ME. Create a topic in RS Linx Classic that points to the emulator and setup the data server as an opc server to RSLinx which of course points to the topic in linx.

Not my best attempt at an explanation, but it's late and I'm tired...

What are you trying to do with DH485? RSLinx Enterprise supports DH485 through the 1784-PKTX. Any other connection method would need RSLinx Classic.

What device do you plan on connecting directly to the computer and what PLC/SLC are you connecting to?

OG

I'm not using DH485. This panelview is going to be used with a slc 5/04 and connected using DH+ protocol. I read somewhere that for emulation, instead of going through the OPC server method, that you can also create a connection using DH485, so I was just curious how that would work.

I got the OPC method working thanks to your video. I can also pick the tags for the graphical objects like the system would online which is great. One question, the OPC topic I have the name "PLC504", when I put the system together online, would I just delete the OPC server from the FT View and then create a connection through DH+ & give it the same name "PLC504"? I don't want to redo the connections for all the tags once I take the system from the emulator and connect to the actual PLC.

The Emulator emulates a DH485 network. The actual network to be used is irrelevant to the emulator. Could be DH+ or ENET. Emulator doesn't know and doesn't care.

Once you hook up to a real network nothing has to be done in FT View. Simply go into RSLinx and modify the OPC Topic to point to a real PLC instead of the emulator. Nothing else has to be done.

OG

The Emulator emulates a DH485 network. The actual network to be used is irrelevant to the emulator. Could be DH+ or ENET. Emulator doesn't know and doesn't care.

Once you hook up to a real network nothing has to be done in FT View. Simply go into RSLinx and modify the OPC Topic to point to a real PLC instead of the emulator. Nothing else has to be done.

OG

Once I hook up to the real DH+ network, don't I need to set DH+ communication in FT View RSLinx Enterprise? On the real network, there's just the Panelview+ & the PLC so no RSLinx in between. This is how I envisioned the system to communicate, but if there's an easier way, I'm all ears.

Jr.

Sorry, been working with View SE all week and forgot you were using a PVP.

Yes, since we have a PVP then there is no RSLinx Classic and we are using RSLinx Enterprise. When you setup RSLinx Enterprise (using the Target/Runtime tab) add the DH+ driver and add the PLC/SLC node. Create your shortcut here using the same name that you had used for your RSLinx Classic OPC Topic. Make sure you delete that topic or rename it.

No other changes should be necessary as long as your shortcut name matches the OPC Topic name.

OG