FactoryTalk View Software

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
Would anyone happen to know the default location files are saved when using the FactoryTalk View Studio software? I installed a new copy onto a new laptop but am not sure where the files are actually saved on the old laptop

Document/Public Documents/RSView Enterprise and then the Activation are in Document/Public Documents/Rockwell Automation

HTH

The exact path depends on the operating system.

In general they're in the "All Users" or "Public Documents" directories.

On my Windows 7 32-bit machine, they're in:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME

You cannot just copy directories from one computer to another; the FactoryTalk Directory services needs to know about the location of all of the files, and the best way to let it know where all the files are is to let its utilities do the work.

On the old machine, use the Application Manager to perform Backups (create *.APA archive files) and then on the new machine use the Application Manager to perform Restore operations.

A "Restore" operation copies and registers all the directories and files and registry entries you need.

one last thought... if you dont mind. I am kind of new to factory talk software. Do I need to be online with the PLC through the control logix software in order to update the HMI display?

one last thought... if you dont mind. I am kind of new to factory talk software. Do I need to be online with the PLC through the control logix software in order to update the HMI display?

No you don't have to be, but it does make it easier if you're referencing the plc for your tags.

Sorry what I meant was..... my HMI is connected through a Stratix switch and all I should have to do is use the transfer utility button on the FT view studio software in order to push out an update to the HMI, right?

That is what i meant to say... sorry for the confusion.

Sorry what I meant was..... my HMI is connected through a Stratix switch and all I should have to do is use the transfer utility button on the FT view studio software in order to push out an update to the HMI, right?

That is what i meant to say... sorry for the confusion.

Yes, that will work. You don't need to be online with the plc in order to do that. Just be cautious that the new hmi programing that you're transferring isn't writing values to a running machine that would cause issues.