FactoryView Network to server

Bert

Hi,
i am new to this form and this might be a silly question.
but i wanted to clarify this sentence i found in FactoryTalk Documentation.

>>>
• Where will the FactoryTalk Directory be installed?
o The FactoryTalk Directory should be located on the same Local Area Network (LAN)as the FactoryTalk View SE server(s), data server(s), alarm server(s), and client(s).

<<<

I want to obtain clarification.
Does this mean same IP Subnet ?
Or can a FactoryTalk View Client be located in 192.168.1.x/24 and a server in 192.168.20.x/24
as long as they can both Ping/connect to each other of course.

or is this mandatory to be in the same IP Subnet.

It has to be at the same subnet for SE server and SE Client and data server and alarm server and OPC data server and FactoryTalk Directory server to communicate between.

It has to be at the same subnet for SE server and SE Client and data server and alarm server and OPC data server and FactoryTalk Directory server to communicate between.

Is there no way around this ?

I read about a FactoryTalk Linx Gateway. Could a tool like this work around the different subnets ?

basically our best practise enviroment is to have "servers" and "clietns" in a different subnet.
but that seems to be impossible if SE server and SE client have to be in the same subnet.