Fanuc 90-30/VersaPro question

bobbyjadams

Could someone tell me what the letters mean in the program made in VersaPro?
i.e. I,Q,M,R. I assume that the "I's" are inputs, "Q's" are coils, and M and R are just registers. Is this correct? This is my first attempt with a PLC so I appreciate any help.

You're correct that %I is real-world inputs and %Q is real-world outputs. %M memory is internal discrete (on/off) memory and %R is internal register (16-bit numeric) memory. In addition, there is %AI memory for real-world analog inputs and %AQ for real-world analog outputs.

Floating point and 32-bit integer data use two consecutive %R addresses.

There are also T, which are similar to the M, the only difference is the T is a temp and is reset on a power up where as the M is retentive.

Is there anywhere online to find a good beginner. Tutorial on versa pro and or 90-30 programming?
Your best option for learning this is to get the latest software called Proficy Machine Edition. Your GEIP distributor or rep can get you a demo CD, it includes many tutorials and excellent online help. If this is not an option there is a fair amount of data available on the GEIP Support web site, This Forum, MrPLC Forum, and the GEIP Forum.

Examples are great but it can be tricky to connect the dots. The way I learned PLC's was by working with a program somebody else wrote on a machine in which I understood the operation. So when I wanted to see how the XXXX motor was controlled, I would look at the program. Since I knew what the XXXX motor did, it made it easy to follow the code. Hope this helps.

The M memory in the GE family is internal bits. But it can also be worked with as bytes or words. 8 bits in a byte, 16 bits in a word. This is fundemental to understanding PLC addressing and it goes across platforms: AB, GE, Siemens, etc. Some new PLC's don't use addresses but yours (Versamax) does.

Last edited: