Fanuc CNC communication , FOCAS or Ethernet/IP ?

sebastianp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all.

I am wondering if anyone connected the FactoryTalk to collect data from a CNC, specifically FANUC.

I know my way around several SCADA and PLC platforms, new to CNC.

So far I noticed that KepServerEx includes a Focas1 driver, but on their site is shown a suite which support Focas1,Focas2, HSSB, PMC data, however for 1k more.

Also have found a CNC accelerator toolkit, explaining how to connect a CompactLogix/ControlLogix to a 35i Fanuc. From what I understand they are fitting the Ethernet port of CNC with Ethernet/IP driver.

We do not need to write data, only read system information. Therefore I am wondering if anyone used to collect data from Fanuc CNC using this way.

Thank you
sebastianp

Sebastian,

Regarding KepserverEX, and your referencing of both Fanuc and AB drivers, you would need separate driver suites for each protocol. One additional option is the Manufacturing Suite, which comprises all of the standard drivers in one package. More information is available through the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/serverbundles-ms.htm

Where the Manufacturing Suite makes sense is when you need a third device driver. This is where you begin realizing economies of scale.

We work with a company whose primary business is machine connectivity in the CNC world.

Utilizing Kepware's server is a rather seamless installation that offers a reliable connection for the collection of data.

We have also created a page that presents Kepware's drivers associated with the CNC world.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/kepserverex_machine_connectivity_drivers.htm

Regarding the use of these drivers in the CNC world, it is the driver that makes the connection, whether it is a PLC or CNC control.

Further regarding the purchase of KepserverEX, you are purchasing the server based on the number of drivers. The server is not a separate purchase. Therefore, if purchasing the Fanuc Driver Suite, you get the server and driver suite for 995.00.

In requiring the AB Driver Suite which incorporates Ethernet IP, would be an additional 995.00. Should you go with the maintenance contract as well that is an additional 179.00 per driver.

For the Manufacturing Suite, the purchase price is 2495.00 includes a total of 42 specific driver suites plus additional driver related products such as U-Con. It makes sense when you need more than two specific Driver Suites.

Should you have any additional questions, feel free to post, PM or email through the link provided below.

Disclosure - ESI is an authorized Kepware Distributor.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your reply.

Personally we are using KepwareServerEx, as being distributed along with FactoryTalk View. There is no need for extra licence as long as we are using ME version. For SE is exactly the way you are explaining.

Therefore I knew that there is a Fanuc driver suite, for around 1k.

My question is that if anyone used the The CNC Machining Accelerator Toolkit DVD, publication IASIMP-SP018. Inside is explained a procedure making the Fanuc ethernet port as being Ethernet/IP scanner or adapter. Also on Fanuc BOM are mentioned some components, like fast ethernet board S707 + Ethernet/IP Adapater/Scanner functions R967/R966.

So I was curious if anyone used this approach and how it went.

For FactoryTalk View there is no need for Ethernet/IP driver because it's native on RSLinx.

Regards
sebastianp