Fiber network daisy-chaining

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
First, I have lots of copper networking experience, but next to no fiber experience.

I bought eight unmanaged network switches (8 x copper ports & 1 x duplex fiber port), along with sufficient fibre patch cables to interconnect them. Once they arrived, i realized that daisy-chaining them with fiber isn't as easy as I thought...

My question is: Are "tee" fittings available that will allow interconnection of the switches, or will I have to purchase a fiber switch?

The fiber used in networking isn't that different than the copper cat5 cable in the way it's used. No, you can't "tee" fiber. You can't "tee" cat5 either.

One option you have is to buy a media converter for each switch and use that as an additional fiber port.