fifo for 2 machines

James,

The FFU (FIFO Unload) is the instruction that becomes your "machine station" start-up controller. It controls WHICH station starts next, and it should also control WHEN it starts. FFU must have a trigger bit that goes on and off for each station that is to be started.

For a FIFO operation, you do 4 steps (1) logic that sets up the Load, (2) FFL, (3) logic that sets up the Unload timing, (4) Unload that controls the machines.

I don't understand why in your Main Ladder Subroutines, you put the FFU (Unload) BEFORE the Load. Logicaly, the Load MUST occur first, so reversing them confuses me. It must work that way, but your PLC has to scan all the way around once past Sub 3 and get to Sub 4 before anything else happens. I fixed that for you once, but I see you ignored the hint.

Basically, your Lad 5, Rung 002, FFU now controls WHICH machine station starts next, but it does not do an adequate job of controlling WHEN it starts. I think it will step through all 12 machines without pausing to wait for a water fill. You have 3 instructions on Rung 002 that do essentially the same thing, where one of them is all you need (along with missing logic that looks at your Water Fill timers to see when the next one is done). Unless B3/7 is a bit that goes on then off when it is time to run the next machine, then I see no UNLOAD logic that is tied to the Water Fill timers.

I am not very good at explaining this, but I will try again. Look at Lad 5, Rung 000. When N7:19 = 1, your Station 1 will be given permission to start. But I thought you did not want Station 1 to start UNLESS all other stations either were not running, or had finished with water fill?

Yet here it is, Station 1 will start whenever it (at some earlier time) put in a start request, regardless of what the other stations are NOW doing. That defeats one of your original goals (controlling WHEN the machine starts happen).

Last edited:
if we limit the stations in process to one at a time, we have plenty of water.
This could be the source of the problem. You don't need to limit the stations to "one at a time". You only need to make sure that the last station started has finished Step 3 Water Filling. If you make the system wait until the entire cycle is complete, you will waste several minutes for each station (at least 4.5 minutes and probably much more, whatever time Steps 4 through 7 requires).

Last edited:
James,

It is always great news when a problem is solved with a little help from your friends.

Last edited: