First Time Trying to go Online over Ethernet SLC 5 /05

about BootP:

yea its disabled

here's some info on trying BootP – if you get that desperate ... you'll need the MAC address (Machine Access Code) from the processor ... on most SLC-5/05 units you have to pull the processor out and look for a small label on the circuit board ... it should (but might not) have the syntax shown ... sometimes they leave out the ":" characters ...

anyway, even if BootP has been disabled, you MIGHT (repeat MIGHT) be able to get it enabled with the button shown ... if that DOES work for you, stop off and buy a lottery ticket on your way home ...

and by the way, it's a "Shakespearean" sort of question ...

enable_bootp.PNG

Last edited:
BOOTP can be painful, I do not use it if at all possible.

Exactly, I would ping the 10.2.44.121 IP address and check it's physically on the network. This will also confirm your PC static address is on the same subnet.

I nearly always use the Ethernet devices driver. I Also create separate driver instances in RSLinx Classic for each machine and build the IP address list for that localized network. Name each driver by the machine/network it relates to. There is a max number of Ethernet device driver instances you can create in RSLinx Classic, but I can't remember that number off the top of my head?

No it is not essential to enter the PC IP address in the driver address list. Sorry if I created some confusion. The reason I do it is because my PC IP address is not static, as I also use the PC on another DHCP network.

On the PC under TCP/IPv4 property settings, in the "General" tab, I select "Obtain an IP address automatically" for the DHCP network I use. Then under the "Alternative Configuration" tab, I select "User configured" and set the network configuration settings for the PC when on the Allen Bradley network.

If I'm on the DHCP network the PC picks up it's IP address automatically. If I'm on an AB network (with DHCP disabled) the PC reverts to the "Alternate configuration" settings.

I enter this static "Alternate" IP address into the top of the list for each Ethernet devices driver instance.

So when I'm browsing on an AB network I can see from the list that the PC is using the "Alternate configuration".
So if a device(s) will not show up in the browse list, I at least know it's not my PC IP address that's at fault.

Sorry for that tangent, just thought I'd clear things up and it might be useful info to know.

G.

Ron: On my ml1100 I looked at the LCD and got my NIC address. I then hooked up my rj45 eihernet cable. I then ran bootp. once you start bootp, it will start looking for nic addresses. When the address of the ml1100 popped up. I high lighted it, and double clicked on it. It then gave to me a box showing the NIC address of the mo1100, and underneath the nic address it gave a place for me to enter the IP address i wanted for the ml100. Once you do this it will communicate.. Then in your logix 500 screen you do a down load. even if it is nothing but and end rung. other wise, when you turn off the mo1100. it will forget the address.
Hope this helps..

Ron: On my ml1100 I looked at the LCD and got my NIC address. I then hooked up my rj45 eihernet cable. I then ran bootp. once you start bootp, it will start looking for nic addresses. When the address of the ml1100 popped up. I high lighted it, and double clicked on it. It then gave to me a box showing the NIC address of the mo1100, and underneath the nic address it gave a place for me to enter the IP address i wanted for the ml100. Once you do this it will communicate.. Then in your logix 500 screen you do a down load. even if it is nothing but and end rung. other wise, when you turn off the mo1100. it will forget the address.
Hope this helps..

BootP when enabled does is independent of the IP address..gotta get it turned on first which can be tricky if hte IP is undocumented

I think what Ron is describing is sending a request to enable BootP to a MAC ID and hoping that gets through any switches intact (with a crossover cable it should get there) and that the SLC will say, "Yeah, okay, I will turn on BootP for you." or it might say "NACK".

I think what Ron is describing is sending a request to enable BootP to a MAC ID and hoping that gets through

yep – that was indeed my point ...

IF (that's a big IF) BootP happens to already be enabled, then it works pretty well (most of the time) to let you set an IP address ... but if it's NOT enabled, then it's sort of like locking your keys in your car ...

IF you can see the key ring lying on the seat ... and

IF the window is slightly down ... and

IF you've got a coat hanger handy ... then

MAYBE you can get where you need to be ...

sometimes you can get BootP enabled by working at it through the MAC address ... but other times – well, maybe not so lucky ...

so thank you, MaxGauss ... the instructions that you've posted will certainly come in handy for someone down the road someday ...

me again.

next problem. well kind of the same

i was able to get online with a 5 /05 after you guys helped me.

then i went back to the same customer that i had the original issue with, i was able to see the processor and data monitor would open up, but when i tried to go online it said "corrupt processor"
i even downloaded the EDS for the C series SLC 5 /05