Flex I/O 1794-IP4 pulse counter module

bigbuckaroo

I have recently installed one of these counter modules into an exisiting working Flex I/O system. The goal is to read pulse inputs from an Anderson Insturments IZMAG flow meter. IZMAG instruction manual here: http://www.andinst.com/PDFs/2070.pdf. Here is the installation and startup guide: http://www.andinst.com/PDFs/1175.pdf. The manual for the Flex module is here: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1794-um016_-en-p.pdf. The manual for the IP4 has examples for configuration using BTR and BTW instructions via Controlnet etc. This is on an Ethernet IP network and a Tech note with an example program is here: http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26592. Tech Connect required I believe. So now I am confused and looking for minimum configuration needed for the IP4 and the IZMAG to read flow pulse inputs. I have the IZMAG set to mode 5 which is 2 independant pulse outputs 1 for each direction of flow. Forward flow output is Pulse output 1 where terminal 25 is the - signal and terminal 26 is +. I have terminal 25 of the IZMAG wired to the IP4 module ussing a TB3 base and it goes to terminal 17. Terminal 26 of the IZMAG is wired to terminal 0 of the IP4. The IP4 is powered and no faults, it is showing as running in RSLOGIX 5000 I/O tree. I have had flow through the flow meter as confirmed by the on board display. Can somone take a look at the manuals I provided and see what the heck I need to do to get this working? It could be something simple I am missing or more involved than what I think. Ideas?

To follow up on this post, I did finally get this to work. Problem #1 was the confusion in the Installation and Startup Guide for the Anderson IZMAG. Page 3 showed the pulse 1 output as a - on terminal 25 and + on terminal 26. Further research showed this is an Optocoupler and needed the 24VDC signal to switch to my input. D'OH. Moving on to next problem... the input module itself. After talking to local AB guru he seemed as perplexed as I was. He even went so far as to tell me they only sold 3 of these all of last year. I got 1 and another company got the other 2. As a little backround information on this module: each input has 2 input terminals associated with it, depending on which mode you are using. Per the instructions it can accept a + or - signal. So I am on input 1 which shows terminals 0 as the input for a high signal and terminal 1 for a low input signal. All fine and dandy! I hook up my signal to terminal 0 as I have a 24VDC signal. I toggle the sensor to get an input and.....NOTHING on the input module. Local AB guru suggest tying the unused terminal 1 to the 0VDC terminal on the module terminal base. The instruction sheet for the module has a note at the bottom of one page to do just this to reduce noise. More confusion as it doesn't seem to be a noise problem but at this point I will try anything to get this thing to give me a pulse count. After installing this jumper and actuating the input I NOW have the pulses reflected in the appropriate tag!!!!!!!! I went back over the sheet included with the module, the manual from literature library, and the AB knowledgebase and saw no suggestion that this is what is needed to get this to work correctly other than noise related. Maybe it was there somewhere, I just did not come across it. Hopefully this followup may save somone a big headache in the future. As a side note local AB rep suggested just using a DC Flex input card in the future. I have to do some calculations to see if the inputs I will be using in the future will fall within the acceptable range and that is exactly what I will do. The only reason I picked this to use originally was because of the information that it was used for flow meters which is what I am interfacing it with. Double D'OH

I know 6 years have passed, but, if someone needs help, I attached some pictures.

LADDER:
Config value 15 to make all 4 channel 32bit rate measurement (ChX0low word+ChX1high word)
Create a 1Sec. timer before issue start sampling command
Create a 100mSec.timer to release start sampling command
COP ChX0 to dint tag "pulso_Ch0" lenght 1 (2ints->1dint)

WIRING:
Provide 24vdc to V bus and 0Vdc to COM bus
Attach terminals 9,11,13,15 to COM
Plug your pulse sensor or frequency generator positive to terminals 8,10,12,14 to channels 0,1,2,3 respectively.
Plug your pulse sensor or frequency generator negative to terminals 9,11,13,15

Explanation:
High word concatenate low word inside dint tag and gives a value that represents our period*10^7 (40006/10^7=0,004Sec). Once frequency = period^-1, we must compute inverse of period and multiple 10^7 to get pulse count into a float tag F8[45] (frequency=249.96~250Hz).

ps.:1794-IP4 image was 10Hz, but then I changed it to 250Hz and took ladder printscreen.

Sorry my bad english.
Hope this helps!(y)

1794_IP4_PULSE_CONFIG.png 1794_IP4_PULSE_LADDER.png 20190205_163208.jpg

Last edited:
I just installed one of these yesterday on a PLC 5 through an ASB. Here is the manual page describing the wiring (unused inputs to common) in a footnote. It would have been much better if they had drawn it in for example wiring. I have not commissioned it yet so I might not be out of the woods.

1794-IP4.png