Question about wiring FLEX I/O 1794-IE12

wine_sparky

Hi all,

what is the proper way to fuse 1794-IE12 modules? fuse sizes/locations?

We are burning up these modules in our facility.

Thanks for the useful advise.:mad:

And Yes, I did, There was really no indication.
However, the reason that I asked the question on this forum was to get insight from somebody that may have in-depth experience with these.

Does anyone have any Idea why these things may be burning up? It's not limited to one RIO rack or even to one PLC System. I'd like to know if there is a design issue with our RIO panels.

Hi all,

what is the proper way to fuse 1794-IE12 modules? fuse sizes/locations?

We are burning up these modules in our facility.

You shouldn't be "burning up" the IE-12 Modules. We have had lots of them in service for years. They are a pain to wire, so my first suspicion would be a wiring issue.

I usually feed the power to them off a 1A Breaker, and I have also seen OEMs have a Fuse on every Channel. The other thing is I always put them on their own 24VDC Power Supply separate from I/O and other Loads. I also Bond the 24VDC Common.

It is hard to make any concrete suggestions without more information on your exact setup and implementation.

Stu....

When you say "burning up", what symptoms are you seeing? If

it just "goes weird" sometimes, see this tech note (access level: TechConnect):
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/40829
Basically, if the rack powers up while the field devices are already on, the internal protections kick in and make it not work correctly.

Also, if an additional device is connected to a previously unused channel while the input module is powered up, it can cause all channels to not work. They propose several fixes:
Don't connect/disconnect a device while the field device is powered
Don't power cycle the Flex chassis while field devices are powered
Wire a zener diode in parallel with the input channel and add a current limiting resistor in series with the field device. They have details on sizing those but also state that their values may have to be tuned for each field device.

To be honest, we had so many failures (one caused a huge incident about 7 years ago) with Flex IO that we banned it entirely at all of our plants, and are now using 1756 rack based and the new Flex 5000 IO without any issues. The little bit of flex we have left is mostly on old vendor skids that will get replaced in the next couple years.

I too am interested in your symptoms of “burning up”. The flex line has done remarkably well for us considering environments of varying combinations of heat, damp, oil, and vibration. The one noteworthy problem we encountered were several flex racks of a later installed production line would have analog inputs and outputs flatline randomly at whatever value was current until the rack was power cycled. Discrete IO in the rack continued to function.

We eventually traced it to lack of grounding. The ground tabs on the back of the bases and ASB modules did not penetrate the oxide layer or other coating of the aluminum mounting rails. IIRC, with the module removed, there’s a visible part of the ground tab in a non-DIN-rail mounting screw hole where you can check tab to actual ground continuity. No module bases read continuity to ground. Changing the rails to steel fixed the problem.

Last edited: