Forgot the JSR

A US daytime talk show host. The phrase "watching Oprah" has become cliche for not doing much, because if you watch Oprah it begs the question of why you are not at work (granted however that some board members do work off shifts)

I prefer a pharse from Tigger of the Winnie the Pooh movies for myself: "No time for loafing, I've got dawdling to do" šŸŗ

Last week I spent ten minutes in front of a customer troubleshooting my serial analyzer. Checked the baud rate and framing settings, checked the controller settings, even went into Windows Hardware Manager and checked out the COM port enumeration and active processes.

Then I plugged it into the back of the PC.

Last week I spent ten minutes in front of a customer troubleshooting my serial analyzer. Checked the baud rate and framing settings, checked the controller settings, even went into Windows Hardware Manager and checked out the COM port enumeration and active processes.

Then I plugged it into the back of the PC.
been there, done that too.šŸ™ƒ

Later...Todd

Ahhhh yes... Added a rung, making some changes, and switched back to another ladder wondering why nothing was changing.....

Oh... You need to be online for that to work? ;)

On another note, just last week one of the contractors for our new bottling line made some changes, and previously working code for error tracking stopped working. Somehow, the already existing JSR was deleted....

I've NEVER, NEVER, EVER, forgotten to use JSR!

Because I've NEVER, NEVER, EVER, used Subroutines!

I have certainly used Special Function Programs, however, I've NEVER used Subroutines.

There is no truely valid and definitive reason for using Subroutines as opposed to including all code into the same main-body.

Those that prefer Subroutines are simply habituated to them... like drugs.

And like drugs, there is no REAL benefit from them, but... they like 'em anyways... so, they do 'em... just 'cuz, they like to do 'em!

Dope-heads!

oooohhhh.... I'm gonna get bit by that, ain't I?

Think about it! What is the REAL BENEFIT of using subroutines as opposed to including ALL code in the main-body?

You do maintain a printed listing indicating Module Markers... DON'T YOU?

Yes Terry.... But in my normal flavor of programming(rs500 and plc5) the comments don't always stay where they are initially put unless someone sets things up the right way....

And none of the programs existing when I started here were setup that way.

Another mistake similar to this, When you switch the PLC to Stop mode to download some configurations and forgot to Run it again ... especially in small amount of rungs when there are not many actions you would expect to happen.

Terry Woods said:

(y)

I :geek: to your superior knowledge

I have never used a JMP in my life, regularly use JSR's

However i wont :mad: as plenty others probably will :rolleyes:

When I let the smoke out of devices and the customer is standing behind me, instead of looking guilty, I just say "Yep, that's what I was looking for".

elevmike said:
If you have never made a mistake, then I would suspect that your not doing much with your life but sitting home watching Oprah, which in it'self is a mistake.

Good call.

As for the original question... yeah, i've done this a few times.

For Tom, 504bloke, and jimbo...

Tom,

If you use a single main-body without any subroutines, and then make comments for anything in your main-body... then don't the comments stay with the main-body code, at least in the local PC?

Other than that, your point doesn't make much sense.

504bloke,

How about a name? Your name? Any kind of "handle" other than 504bloke. I and a few others are not afraid to use our real names. At least sign with a name.

Regarding what I said, I stand by it, and I defy anyone, including you, to tear my logic down!

And jimbo,

Mike was referring to a mistake in general, while the original poster was referring to a specific mistake.

Every damned one of us has made a mistake of one kind or another, but at least one of us, namely me, has not made the particular mistake that was described in the original post!

Terry Woods said:
I've NEVER, NEVER, EVER, forgotten to use JSR!

Because I've NEVER, NEVER, EVER, used Subroutines!

I have certainly used Special Function Programs, however, I've NEVER used Subroutines.

There is no truely valid and definitive reason for using Subroutines as opposed to including all code into the same main-body.

Those that prefer Subroutines are simply habituated to them... like drugs.

And like drugs, there is no REAL benefit from them, but... they like 'em anyways... so, they do 'em... just 'cuz, they like to do 'em!

Dope-heads!

Think about it! What is the REAL BENEFIT of using subroutines as opposed to including ALL code in the main-body?

You do maintain a printed listing indicating Module Markers... DON'T YOU?

I guess I am one of the dope-heads. I am sure we all recognize that there is no technical reason to use subroutines. I have been in the unfortunate situation to have to work with a couple programs pushing 1300 rungs in Lad2, I prefer things to look organized.

Come to think about it I guess there is no reason to have a table of contents or chapters in a book either.