Foxboro <-> FTView SE via AIM*OPC

ptheabstract

Hey!

I'm in the process of combining two control systems with separate front ends (Foxboro/Foxview and PLC5-ControlLogix/RSView32) into a single, high performance operator interface on FTView SE using PlantPAx.

I've been running into a little bit of trouble getting the remote AIM*OPC server (for OPC access to the Foxboro tags) to work properly with FTView. I believe I have the DCOM settings correct -- I am able to view/browse the OPC server using the Matrikon explorer from the FTView HMI server, but I am unable to view/browse tags from within FTView Studio or the FT Live Data Test Client.

I sort of have the feeling that FT is attempting to poll the OPC server over TCP/IP (OPC UA) rather than DCOM (OPC DA)... There is a "Live Data Policy" setting in the FT Admin console that can be switched from default TCP/IP to DCOM -- but every station on the network needs to be rebooted in order for the change to take effect....

Has anyone had experience with this? Just thought I would ask around...before I start rebooting every station in the plant :)

Thanks in advance!

Problem solved! No need to change the default Live Data Policy... The data server folder structure did not get created on the FTD somehow... Just needed to delete and re-create the OPC server from the FTAdmin console...

Several hours of my life troubleshooting that I will not get back.... :)

Ok -- so now onto a new (but related) issue... The AIM*OPC server does not seem to publish meaningful Tag Value min/max (OPC Tag Property 102/103). FTView will not write tag values outside of the detected min/max.
For example, I have a discrete tag that I would like to toggle from 0->1 in FTView... but for some reason, the OPC tag property has min/max range of 0 to 6.275800E-300. So toggling from 1 to 0 is not an issue, but I cannot go from 0 to 1.

Does anyone have ideas for how I can work around this? Rockwell Tech support said there is no way to "bypass" the tag high/low limit checking for writing values to tags. I was thinking of adding a third party activex control to the gfx to do the tag writes... but perhaps there is something simpler... Does anyone have experience troubleshooting OPC tag ranges/configuring on server? AIM*OPC is pretty old...I've been looking into how the OPC tag min/max values are populated -- haven't had much luck yet though.

Thanks in advance for any help!