FTAM - License Locked in use

WillM

I've recently set up a Factory Talk Activation Manager server and I'm starting to migrate Rockwell licenses to it.

Twice now I've had the problem where a Floating license has locked up "In Use" after use. I'm pretty sure the cause is disconnecting from the network while the license is in use.

So far I've tried...

- Installing matching version of FTAM 3.62.11
- Rebooting PC, Re opening Logix 5k (Of which still runs of the same license) closing and refreshing server
- Refreshing at server and PC
- Removing License from server and adding it again
- Following Knowledgebase:55028 and trying to fine the relevant license RS5K_600.EXE file in task manager and close it. Its nowhere to be seen

The first time this happened, later in the day it randomly corrected it self. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

I don't have firsthand experience with this, but from reading about other people with the same problem, I believe the reason it corrected itself is that there's a timeout of sorts to release the license after a certain period of time if what you described happens. I have a vague memory of that being 48 or 72 hours, but if as you say it corrected itself later the same day then I could be mistaken.

For future searches...

The licenses eventually return after a few hours of being in limbo.

Glad it sorted itself out. I had a license get stuck as in use recently that didn't fix itself. The only solution (according to Rockwell Tech Support) was to re-host and re-download the activation to the server, which I did and it worked.

-Benaiah

Late to the party...but with a gift!...

I was searching for something else when I stumbled upon this thread which I had not read...

If you are using Borrowed Activations there is a default maximum expiry period of 90 days. This expiry period is always defined in hours; so 90 days is 2160 hours and this is what is displayed on the client computer.

If you want to edit the expiry period then you would open the End User Option File. This a text file named "flexsvr.opt" which resides in the same folder as the license files. I'm sure many have come across it in their Activations travels. To access this file from within FTAM...

Open FactoryTalk Activation Manager
Go to the Advanced tab and then click File Access
Select Edit Options File
The file "flexsvr.opt" opens in Notepad

To set an expiry period lower than the default you would add or edit in the following...

MAX_BORROW_HOURS RS5000.EXE 12

...which is for 12 hours.

This is fine if you just have one license available for RSLogix 5000 on the Server. If you have more than one and want to limit them all to the same or even different expiry periods then you would also specify each Serial Number. This is known as the Vendor String...

MAX_BORROW_HOURS RS5000.EXE:VENDOR_STRING=0123456789 12

...which again is 12 hours.

MAX_BORROW_HOURS RS5000.EXE:VENDOR_STRING=9876543210 24

...which is 24 hours.

And other products...

MAX_BORROW_HOURS
RSLinx.OEM:VENDOR_STRING=1122334455 240

...which is 10 days.

Quick!...

MAX_POST_MINUTES
PLCTALK.NET:USER_STRING=GEOSPARK 1

My post time has nearly expired...

Gotta go!

Regards,
George

Back for more...

As your problem was not in relation to Borrowed Activations...the expiry period does not apply to Floating Activations.

For Floating Activations that do not automatically check back in to the Server...

Yes, a drop in network connectivity could be one cause.

Another is if a firewall is blocking the TCP ports used by FactoryTalk Activation Manager...

There are two services used by FTAM; the Licence Manager Daemon (LMGRD) and the Vendor Daemon (flexsvr). LMGRD will attempt to use TCP ports 27000 - 27009 to establish a licensing session. This port range is unique to lmgrd.exe. Usually it will successfully connect on TCP port 27000. It then starts the Flex Server (flexsvr) which will attempt to establish a Vendor based session using an available OS assigned TCP port.

It's important to make sure, where there may be an issue, that Firewall exceptions be defined for both lmgrd.exe and flexsvr.exe and that port forwarding be assigned to TCP ports 27000 - 27009.

Most do not need do this, so again, it's just a further step to take when a Firewall is present and there are licensing issues.

Oh yes, and another potential cause here is when the Server and Client computers are running different versions of FTAM software (I just read you have already tried this).

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Quality posts as always Geo.

Well the server has been running fine now for a couple of months. Around 20 licenses atm with about 80 more to transfer as and when people need the software upgrades or a new license (Some people are protective of their licenses so I need the leverage :p)

I have been using the Flexsvr.opt options file and have run into an issue that you may know something about (Rockwell Haven't a clue)...

I'm trying to use the TIMEOUT or TIMEOUTALL features. Examples below...

TIMEOUT RS5K_600.EXE 3600

Or

TIMEOUTALL 600

Yet they don't return the license. My understanding is that when floating if they become inactive it returns the license until active again. Tested multiple times with no joy. Also it is recognized in the RSsvr logs file but doesnt function...

14:16:33 (flexsvr) FEATURE RS5K_600.EXE INACTIVITY TIMEOUT set to 3600 seconds

Or

15:04:21 (flexsvr) ALL FEATURES: INACTIVITY TIMEOUT set to 600 seconds

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I know the Flex Server has been in use for several versions of FactoryTalk Activation both for the older FactoryTalk Activation Tool and the current FactoryTalk Activation Manager. FLEXnet are the software company that own and license its use. The TIMEOUT options should still be working up to the latest version of the Flex Server. So I'd agree, it is a strange one?

Whatever about the TIMEOUT option for individual features not working, and how you "might" fix that; the TIMEOUTALL option should work using that one simple command line?...

TIMEOUTALL 600

The Server and Client send each other heartbeat signals to keep the TCP port open. Each pause between heartbeats at the Server should be enabling the timeout period and each pulse should reset it. Once the heartbeat has not been received for the timeout period the TCP port is closed and the connection is torn down. This should flag the Server to check the license back in.

For the individual TIMEOUT option, you could try assigning it to each serial number instance using the VENDOR_STRING, similar to my example above. This can be done for all similar features or differing features. You could also define individual timeout periods if you wish...

TIMEOUT RS5K_200.EXE:VENDOR_STRING=1234567890 600 (10 minutes)

TIMEOUT RS5K_300.EXE:VENDOR_STRING=0987654321 1200 (20 minutes)

TIMEOUT RS5K_600.EXE:VENDOR_STRING=1234554321 1800 (30 minutes)

TIMEOUT RS5K_700.EXE:VENDOR_STRING=5432112345 3600 (1 hour)

It's possible that assigning the TIMEOUT to only one instance of a feature, such as RS5K_600.EXE, where there are more than one serial number for that feature, will only apply the timeout to the first instance and all other instances will ignore the timeout?

You say that you have 100 odd licenses knocking around so that would be a lot of work adding them all, but you could test this on one or two and see first?

Another step is, of course, to make sure you are refreshing the Server after having made your changes or trying mine. The fact that the log file reflects the options status' as having been applied would indicate that you are doing this.

Regards,
George

Advanced tab>Refresh Server

Yeah I spent a while reading through the FLEXnet configuration document that Rockwell mentioned in a Tech Note, so far I'm doing what both Rockwell and FLEXnet have recommended.

I've tried your recommendation and it refuses to acknowledge them in the RSsvr log file. Some examples...

TIMEOUT RS500.exe:VENDOR_STRING=1234543212 6000
TIMEOUT RS5K_700.EXE:VENDOR_STRING=1234543212 6000

I'm starting to think my expectations may be slightly off. Dumbing it down a little... we have a lot of terminal PC's and people will leave the software running for days un-used. I was expecting that the software would class itself as inactive when not being used and would return the license. I'm now thinking the heartbeat may still be running stopping this. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Oh, yes...

If the software is still open then it is actively using the license and FTAM will be transmitting heartbeat signals. The Server is not so clever that it is monitoring keystrokes or the project file for changes or anything so advanced, just the heartbeat.

That would explain a lot.

Regards,
George