FTAM Rehosting with mixed versions of FearFactoryBalk

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
In the process of moving into a new windows7 desktop PC, I rehosted three licenses from my old machine using the existing version of FactoryTalk Activation Tool (no "help about" msgbox for version number, Control Panel Add/Remove Programs lists FactoryTalk Activation Client 3.01, CPR 9 SR 1) .

Then on the new machine, after installing and testing all the necessary software and running it successfully with the grace period warning, I downloaded and installed the latest version of FactoryTalk Activation Manager 3.40.00, and went through the somewhat different process to retrieve the files.

When I enter the information and follow all the step, I am told that there are 0 licenses available. it seems I am missing a step somewhere, but I am not sure what. By the way, I did this on a Saturday morning if that makes any difference.

The last time I did this to move a license about three years ago it was so painless, I barely remember the steps. Rockwell has a video that explains in great detail how to get rid of your license.

But, it stops there. Where's the video to get the dang license back? I thought I found it, but no, it was a video, to show you how to find the video that shows you how to get rid of your license and send it off into cyberspace.

I am not upset, just sarcastic in general. I have three more days and spare licenses I can borrow...any and all help will be appreciated.

Paul

Solved

Duh, I didn't remember to go to the licensing webiste and enter the rehost codes there.

So...
1) Rehost: Run FTAP, or FTAC, or FTAM (mixed versions did not cause my problem) and "Rehost Activations". It is straightforward, self explanatory, and easy to figure out.

2) Rehost: The 2nd step, then, and it quite clear and obvious if you think about it, is to go on the internet to ab.com and poke around until you find the licensing website and the feature called "Rehost Activations". Just like the name of step one, don't be dumb like me and think that you have already Rehosted Activations, really you have not. What you did in step one was technically "Blow Away Activations", and in step two, what you did was "Tell Rockwell that the Activations have been Blown Away". My terms are silly and too long to put on a product wrapper, so Rehost is the better choice of words since there is no ambiguity and anyone with half a brain will instantly recognize exactly what this means and realize that it must be done twice in a row.

Note the clear distinctions between step one and step two. Step one is called "Rehost Activations" and it asks you if you have internet access, so that should make it clear that you will have to do this same thing again in step two, only this time it will be called "Rehost Activations" and will be done on the internet. Just the fact that the software mentions internet access should have your ADDD mind working to warm up your browser and search for the latest sports news.

3) Get New Activations. The final step is to un-re-host the activations, This is called getting a new activation. Being easily confused, I thought that since my activations were over 5 years old that I should look for a different button, but then I realized that activations never get old. Rehosted activations are the same age as new activations. As a matter of fact, there is no such thing as an old activation, only new ones. All rehosted activations are new ones and you get them back by using the aptly named "Get New Activations" button right there in Factory Talk Activation Tool (a.k.a. Factory Talk Activation Server, Factory Talk Activattion Client, Factory Talk Activation Manager).

Hope this helps...
Paul

Last edited:
Fun stuff there Okie. Want a real challenge setup FT Activation to hand out licenses from a server to machine on different network. It's a blast lemme tell ya.

Yes, it is all very confusing, and i hear much critiscism of the RA software activation process/procedure/schema from students. It is all well and good when it works and you get the activations you've paid for.....

Recently I switched my activations for Logix5000 and Logix500 to use an activation dongle, so that I could use the softwares on multiple machines (quite legally).

Logix5000 had no issues, but Logix500 refuses to recognise the dongle activation on any other machine.... !!

RA have no idea why - and tech support have "allowed" me to use NIC-locked activations on 2 machines - technically I am working outside of their t's and c's, but it was their idea, so i'm ok with it. Just wondering what might happen in one of their audits....

...since there is no ambiguity and anyone with half a brain will instantly recognize exactly what this means and realize that it must be done twice in a row.
Ha-Ha! very funny, Paul. A little humor helps with this stuff.

RA have no idea why - and tech support have "allowed" me to use NIC-locked activations on 2 machines - technically I am working outside of their t's and c's, but it was their idea, so i'm ok with it. Just wondering what might happen in one of their audits....

Daba

CYA with the support ticket Number. I always record the phone call for later reference and comes in handy on drawn out problems. Good for stuff like this also. I always tell them that I am recording the call. Gets you better service also.