FTView ME: Select Parameter File Based on Variable

ck8177

Is there a way to select a parameter file when loading a given screen based on the value of a variable? I see that under "Global Connections" the Parameter file field allows for an expression, so I attempted this:

If {[PLC]HMI.IO_Pointer} = 1 Then Pointer_01 Else If {[PLC]HMI.IO_Pointer} = 2 Then Pointer_02 Else Pointer_01

Where {[PLC]HMI.IO_Pointer} is a variable in the processor and Pointer_01 and Pointer_02 are parameter file names. I then used a set of momentary push buttons on the screen in question to increment/decrement the pointer variable in the PLC, and reload the screen using the remote display connections. FTView said all my syntax was valid, but no luck.

I also tried a set of GoTo pushbuttons with an HMI variable in place of a parameter file name, which FTView also said was valid but which also did not work...

I got the desired results with a set of GoTo buttons with direct assignments to the two parameter files, which directed to the screen with was already displayed. The only issue I have with this solution is that there will end up being upwards of ten or more parameter files, and I don't want to have to modify/layer multiple sets of GoTo buttons laid on top of each other for every future project.

I would like to have one set of two buttons on this particular page, and based on the value of a tag (HMI or PLC, either is fine) will call a certain parameter file when loading a screen. Global connections, macros, really special super-secret buttons, something I've already tried but with better syntax, I'm open to any suggestions. TIA

I've never tried using an expression in the Global Connections as you are attempting, but your end goal is certainly achievable.

Simply point the global connection to a String tag in the PLC, then based on your current Pointer value load the name of the desired parameter file into the String.

EDIT: I've done this with Control/CompactLogix, can't speak for other PLCs.

I've never tried using an expression in the Global Connections as you are attempting, but your end goal is certainly achievable.

Simply point the global connection to a String tag in the PLC, then based on your current Pointer value load the name of the desired parameter file into the String.

EDIT: I've done this with Control/CompactLogix, can't speak for other PLCs.

This worked perfectly, Thanks! I've attached the PLC code I used. I set up my HMI screen with placeholders and set up my parameter files, and put the PLC string tag in the Global Connections field for parameter file.

Thanks again!