FTView ME to run a batch file on request

Adam83

Gday all,

I'm currently working on a system that is using FTView ME running on a PV1500+ version 6.0.

I have a datalog model created and all seems to be working well.

I want to be able to automatically backup the datalog (*.log file) from the PV to a USB stick (or something similar) say every 24hrs.

The reason im doing this is because we need a backup of the logged data, and if i make the datalog to big, the runtime enviroment starts to slowly melting itself. Also once the datalog fills up all points, it will start overwriting the oldest data.

The way i was thinking of doing this is to set a tag high in the PLC every 24hrs. When the tag is set, execute a .bat file which copies the .log file from the internal of the PV onto a USB, and date stamp the copied file. Now getting the .bat file working is pretty easy, the problem im having is trying to find a way to execute the file during runtime.

I know with SE there is the functionality to execute files and open files etc, but havent be able to find anything similar in ME. I know you can probably do the work in VBA but im pretty useless with VBA so if i can avoid using it that would be great.

Any help/ideas would be great.

Cheers.

Adam

Last edited:
FTView ME doesn't support VBA anyhow, so you're safe there.

What I would try is the Program Launcher ActiveX, which allows an action in FTView ME to launch a *.EXE executable.

Convert your .BAT file to an .EXE using BAT2EXE or the IEXPRESS utility, and you should be able to do what you wish.

The LaunchEnable property can be connected to your clock trigger bit, but I think the ActiveX is going to have to be on a screen that's open at the time of the event.