What do I need to run ftview client?

mrgees100peas

Hi,

We develop a small application in ftview se. It runs fine on the laptop were we have studio, communicates with the plc etc etc. Now we want to insall the application on an ipc as a stand alone. What do we need to install on that other computer just to run the application? That is to say we wont install the development environment we just want the application to start and run. No development. On previous occasion someone else did the installation so we didn't pay too much attention on how to do it. One of our guys tried installing a client and the app does open but it does not communicate with the plc and none of the securities were exported.

Not enough info for a fully qualified answer, but do you have the Rockwell Activation manager installed on the computer you want to run the client on, and see a green key symbol in the notification panel? If the PC or laptop can't reach the Rockwell Activation service / server then it won't authenticate apps or software. That will run on the one with Studio as it is activated. We use a Rockwell FT server with multiple VMs and each has one RA product on like FTView, FTVantagepoint, FTStudio, and one of them is the FTDirectory where all available apps and licences are listed.

Try installing the Activation Manager on the device you want to run the client on, then run AM and look for activations, remember it needs to be on the same network as the machine which holds the activations, some can be borrowed, some are shared. Your licence for FTView SE will determine whether you can use other machines than the one it is installed on, to use a client. You may not have a licence for that function.

Obviously the output of FTView apps is intended to be compiled into a runtime and then downloaded onto a PanelView HMI panel - it takes special licencing to create "virtual" HMI's with FTView Client. Check you have the right licence for what you are trying to do, your Rockwell agent or account manager will be able to look that up and advise.

Last edited:
I think we have it figured out. For some reason it didn't take the communications setting. We set them again and it now seems to work. Thank for the help.