FTVSE Application on the fritz-need assistance

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Guys,

Well just a little back ground as to how the problem started.
Last night our governors decided (somehow, we still don't know how yet) to change the reference RPM they receive to 550 RPM instead of 600 RPM.
Well needless to say....the shaft generators don't like the reduced Hz all that much and dropped themselves offline. (Boat goes black)

Engines kept running and once I got the laptop connected to the governors it did not take long to see the reference was wrong and then manually bump it back up to where it should be, engines followed and we put the shafts back online.

There were a few things that went south from this happening but I got all straightened out except my Surimi Factory FTVSE SCADA Mimic will not get any values now.
The application will boot up and the mimic will appear but nothing works. I just have a blank mimic.
I am not well versed in SE (much better at ME) so if anyone has any advice I would sure appreciate the help. (our Surimi tech is having to run around and look in every tank to make sure things are going ok since he has no working mimic of the plant.)

The PLC is a PLC5 that is on DH+ but we are using a DataLink1000 DH+ to Ethernet Gateway to bridge the SCADA PC to the PLC.
I can Ping the DataLink and get 4 sent and 4 return packets 0 fail.
But in RSLinx Classic it shows that node with RED X over it.

I tried putting the DataLink IP into a web browser but it comes back as password protected so I am locked out there. ( DataLink was installed by a vendor years ago)

Does SE rely on RSLinx Classic or does it use Enterprise like ME does.
I don't see the Enterprise tab so I am guessing it uses RSLinx Classic.
Not sure why it does not see this node all of a sudden.

If I open the FTVSE file (not the Client) and then press "TEST" I get the screen you see below. It shows and error on every one of my tags.

I have rebooted everything tried making another SE Client check all comm cables between the devices, an now I am scratching my head.
I have spent many hours (more than I care to admit) trying to fix this and now turn to you for some helpful advice.

Thank you in advance for any insight you might provide.

EDIT: one other piece of info....the DataLink1000 Gateway mimics a SLC in RSLinx so when you look at my screenshot this is why it appears as a SLC.

BCS

RSLinx.jpg Application.jpg

Last edited:
Well I am coming to believe that this is going to be just a comm error to the DataLink within RSLinx as I cannot see the DataLink in RSLinx from my shop either.
Just connected in here and tried it and I still get a red X over that node.
I can still Ping it though, so still scratching my head over this one.

Anyone got any ideas?
Spitball anything my way...at this point I am desperate to get this fixed and will not get to sleep until I do. (Been going round the clock already since yesterday)

Thanks,
BCS

Comm Error Linx.jpg Ping ok.jpg

a) In the attached images, RSLinx appears as "RSLinx Classic Lite". Is that image from your laptop or the PC running FTVSE? Could you confirm what version and revision number of RSlinx is running with FTVSE?

b) I'm thinking that something is wrong with the DataLink. The error on RSLinx (Comm. error 01E00204) is a general error related to timeout: RSLinx has never received a reply from the DataLink. Don't you have a spare one, already preprogrammed?

I do have a spare that we use to access the PLC5 from remote (off the boat) but if you notice it is showing the same way as the other.
The spare is node 192.168.20.31 and you can see there is a RED X over it also.

I did manage to find the password and user name for the embedded web page on the DataLink and I can pull that up with no problem, I have double checked the settings and rebooted it through the web page.
Still same effect.

Also I now see in the FTVSE Application (Not the Client) that there is RSLinx Enterprise and when I click on the Communication tab there I do see the DataLink and there is no Red X over it. (This is in RSLinx Enterprise not Classic I am speaking of now, Classic still has RED X)

In my first post the RSLinx Classic screen shot is from the PC running the FTVSE SCADA.
In my second post the RSLinx Classic screen shot is from my laptop via a connection in my shop.

Now that I see there is RSLinx Enterprise in SE also can anyone confirm that SE is using ENTERPRISE for comms or is Classic still needed also.

And if Enterprise is the one that is used where do you confirm what PLC (Node) the program is looking at/for.
(for instance in ME you point your shortcut toward the correct processor)
(How is this done in SE)

Thanks,
BCS

Last edited:
Here is the screen shot of the Communications tab on the FTVSE Application (not Client) it shows online and scanning and it seems all nodes are found.

Still not sure how it is pointed toward the right processor though.

I am a SE virgin, I have only made it to about 2nd base with SE. :oops:

BCS

Enterprise.jpg

Open any object on the screen (a numeric indicator, maybe), go to connections tab and verify what shortcut is being used. In RSLinx Enterprise window, just click on the shorcut to see what controller is using (same procedure as ME).

EDIT:
I don't remember if FTVSE has a design and runtime tabs for RSLinx Enterprise. Some people only asign the shorcut on runtime tab.

Last edited:
Its working now.
I had to get and integrator we use from Denmark to VNC in and figure it out.
I tried to watch what he was doing but he moved from screen to screen too fast for me to keep up and using vnc I don't get to see the movement of the curser so was hard to keep track of where he was.

Anyway it had something to do with the OPC server got corrupted and had to be reconfigured.
Had to use OPC server in order to force the DataLink to DH+ Network.
Something about you cant do that in the RSLinx software on the newer versions.

(talking over my head here as I have never dealt with OPC before, but you can bet I will start reading on that now)

Thanks
BCS