Fuel Oil

There seems to be some confusion here regarding fuel oil. All the advice so far assumes there is a hazardous area where fuel oil is stored. I'm rather sure this is incorrect. We've been challenged by more than one generator manufacturer regarding use of safety barriers for level sensors in fuel tanks. They all say it's not required.

NFPA 497 - Manual for Classification of Gasses, Vapors and Dusts for Electrical Equipment in Hazardous (Classified) Locations specifically lists fuel oil as having a flash point above 100 degrees F. This rewuilts in a classification of "combustible", not "flammable". There's a distinction. In the following link, see paragraph 2.3.2 on page 6 for a discussion of flash points as it relates to electrical classification. The link is to Crouse Hinds, but Appleton Electric publishes esentially identical information in their code digest. I'm of the understanding that kerosene and fuel oil are not flammable since their flash point is above 100 degrees F, and therefore do not require any special electrical equipment.

http://www.crouse-hinds.com/CrouseHinds/Sound_Ideas/Chapter2.pdf

Thanks for the input Tim...It's the one hazardous application I've done, and we have the money to isolate it, so we might as well. As far as what's required by law or by "a good idea", you could be correct that it's not needed.

Thanks again,

Greg

IMHO you can never be to safe, or to rich.
If this were being installed in your house, would you buy the barrier? I would. Peace of mind is hard to place a dollar value on.

Yes, fuel oil is classified as combustible vs. flammable, but the spec is a minimum flash point of 100F. I'm not familiar with the Wisc. area, but a large metal tank in direct sunlight can easily be 20-40 degrees above ambient. So if it's an 80 degree day, the tank could be over 100.

Ken

Last edited: