Fused disconnect switches

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
Not a PLC question, but I figure it's a similar audience.

Anyone have recommendations for non-Rockwell fused rotary disconnect switches? We are having issues with lead time on the Rockwell stuff this year.

We have similar availability issues with ABB stuff but would consider them if recommended. We typically use 30 - 200A range components.

I can second bits and bytes,

AutomationDirect.com has mid-grade stuff. Their disconnects are bigger in physical size then i'd expect but their quality if fine.

If you're looking for a lower cost (lower grade quality) component and very small size, c3controls.com also has a non-fused disconnect series I have used in the past.

I’ve had customer specs in the past that ban having the rotary disconnects in panels because the line side of the disconnect has power.. and requires a space suit if opening the door, locked out or not. We have switched to using the commercial disconnect switches mounted to the side of the panel and this satisfies the lockout requirements. Bonus is not having the shaft sticking out and causing door closing issues in the future :)

Anyone have recommendations for non-Rockwell fused rotary disconnect switches? We are having issues with lead time on the Rockwell stuff this year.

We have similar availability issues with ABB stuff but would consider them if recommended. We typically use 30 - 200A range components.

Not sure if Socomec is readily available in the US but worth a look

https://www.socomec.co.uk/files/liv...SCP/pdf_catalogue/GB/cat_fuserblocbs88_en.pdf

We are having issues with lead time on the Rockwell stuff this year. We have similar availability issues with ABB stuff

Not sure about disconnects, but a lot of AB's breakers and other components are actually manufactured by ABB. That would explain why you are having availability issues with both brands.

Rotary or flange mount?
A-B absolutely makes their own flange mount / visible blade disconnects, always have. Their rotaries are indeed brand labeled, but some are Socomec, some are ABB, it depends on which type / size.

Socomec is getting to be pretty much what everyone is using for rotaries lately.

How do you satisfy the requirement of the door needing to be mechanically interlocked with the means of disconnect?

I have had to quite a few times put a safety disconnect on the side of the panel, or close to, to meet the arc flash as jholm90 stated, but also in the panel have a standard disconnect with shunt trip for panel doors.

Whenever i can i like the side mount fused disconnects, no rod. You just need to have the appropriete area ro mount it.